The Democratic National Convention, Recapped by Leslie Knope

"Look out boys. I'm in your club now." -- Leslie Knope

23
Courtney Lindley via Bustle

After a week of controversy and scandal from the Republican National Convention to the DNC email leak, the Democratic National Convention got off to a bit of a rough start in Phillidelphia, Pennsylvania, last week. The Democrats' convention was filled with inspiring speeches, more weird chanting and their fair share of chaos. In case you missed it, here are some of the most important parts, as told by TV's favorite scandal-prone, up-and-coming female politician: Leslie Knope.

Day One

1. DNC Opens In Chaos After Email Leak

Just a few days before the start of the DNC, WikiLeaks released around 20,000 emails sent among the Democratic National Committee. Among the emails are several that suggest the DNC favored Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders throughout the primary. There's even a thread in which a DNC official suggests going after Sanders's religion to make him less likable to voters. As a result of the leak, chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz resigned from the Democratic National Committee. DNC secretary Stephanie Rawlings-Blake hastily stepped in to take Schultz's place and gavel in the convention, but she forgot to actually use the gavel. This, plus the angry Bernie Sanders supporters, plus attempts to distract the public from the content of the emails, caused the DNC to get off to a rough start.

2. Michelle Obama Gives the Best Speech of the Convention

The chaos took a break for Michelle Obama's speech, however. The First Lady's speech was moving, eloquent, and maybe even worth plagiarizing. In the midst of the chaos surrounding the convention, she spoke in a calm tone, without slamming Republicans or anti-Hillary Democrats, about how important this election is for future generations. She spoke about the progress we've made as a country, about her black daughters growing up in the White House, a "house built by slaves," and how our next president will be responsible for making more progress for the future of America. She urged voters to choose carefully which candidate they think will make this future a good one. The delegates voiced their agreement with loud cheering, and Twitter erupted in praise for the speech, as well:

"when you're reading Michelle Obama's speech to pull quotes and everything is pullable." (@heyerinevans)

3. Bernie Sanders Supporters Protest Everywhere, All Day

Understandably angry after the the revelation that the DNC had probably conspired against Bernie Sanders and cost him the nomination, Sanders supporters took to fervent protesting on day one. They booed speakers endorsing Hillary Clinton, held up signs in protest of her, and gathered in large numbers outside of the building. The protests caused some trouble for the convention when comedian Sarah Silverman took the stage and said, "To all the Bernie or Bust people, you are being ridiculous." Their movement put a dent in the theme of the night--unity--as they refused to support Hillary over Bernie.

4. Bernie Urges His Supporters to Vote for Hillary

Though his supporters were still going strong, Bernie Sanders used his speech to endorse Hillary Clinton. Bernie and Hillary had a fairly strong political feud up until recently, the first time Bernie publicly endorsed Hillary; however, on night one of the convention, Bernie put all their differences aside to tell his supporters they must vote for Hillary to keep Trump from becoming the next president: "Our job is to do two things: to defeat Donald Trump and elect Hillary Clinton." (x)

Day Two

1. Hillary Clinton Becomes First Female Presidential Nominee

Although the Sanders supporters were many and very vocal, ultimately, their protests were not successful. After a roll-call vote and a significant victory by number of votes, Hillary Clinton became the official Democratic Presidential Nominee, making her the first female presidential nominee of a major party in U.S. history. After the vote, Hillary made an appearance via a powerful video in which a collage of all 44 previous presidents shattered like the metaphorical glass ceiling to reveal a smiling Hillary Clinton, who thanked the voters and said, "We just put the biggest crack in the glass ceiling yet."

2. Bill Clinton: Hillary is a Change-Maker

Bill Clinton was the headlining speaker for night two of the DNC, and he used his time to take a different approach to endorsing his wife than other speakers had. Other speakers listed off Hillary's political accomplishments and admirable qualities to convince voters, but the scandals and corruption attached to her name remained. Instead of following suit, Bill Clinton endorsed his wife in a way only a husband could--as a wife, as a mother, and as someone who cares deeply about the issues of her community. He told the crowd she was the "best darn change-maker I've ever known." Bill Clinton appealed to the emotional side of voters, which just might work out in the Clintons' favor.

Day Three

1. The Country is Enraged at Newspaper Front Pages That Feature Bill and not Hillary

On Wednesday morning, newpapers all over the country reported the historic news that Hillary Clinton had won the nomination; however, many of them featured a picture of Bill Clinton instead of Hillary on the front page. Twitter was especially angered and confused by this. Many offered the excuse that Bill's picture was only used because he was actually present at the convention, while Hillary's appearance was through a video. But could it really have been that difficult to pair these historic headlines with a picture of the lady making history and not her husband?

2. Donald Trump Gets Roasted, All Night

Day three's theme was "Working Together," and it seemed the one thing the party works best at together is roasting Donald Trump. Nearly every speaker from VP nominee Tim Kaine to President Obama included several digs at the Republican nominee (and POLITICO conveniently compiled a list of the harshest Trump insults of the night). One of the most memorable is Joe Biden's claim that Trump caring about the middle class is a "bunch of malarkey." Though a lot of the insults seemed cheap, they seemed to have helped the party unify under a common goal: defeat Trump.

3. President Obama Gives a Strong Endorsement of His Former Rival

During the 2008 campaign when Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton went head to head to earn the Democratic nomination, they were not exactly on friendly terms; however, the two seemed to have put aside their differences and embraced a new friendship and campaign partnership. President Obama endorsed his former opponent, saying that she must become the next president of the United States. He countered Trump's "Make America Great Again" slogan with the argument that America is great already. He listed accomplishments made while he was in office and urged viewers to vote for Hillary because she is the candidate who will continue making this progress. This endorsement supports the Republicans' claim that a vote for Hillary is a vote for four more years of Obama.

Day Four

1. Hillary Accepts the Nomination

In an impassioned, hour-long speech, Hillary Clinton accepted the Democratic nomination for president. While Donald Trump's speech painted a picture of a broken America that only Trump could make great again, Hillary's speech followed the vein of President Obama's speech in suggesting that America is still great and will only remain great with her as president. In her speech, she emphasized her plans to fight for the working people of America, fight alongside our allies to defeat terrorism, and work with children, disabled, and other groups to break down barriers in our nation.

The DNC may have gotten off to a rocky start with scandals and protests, but by the end of the convention, the Democratic Party seemed to have achieved its day one goal of unity. After a slew of eloquent speeches from major politicians--including two presidents, a vice president, a first lady, and more--the party seems to mostly support their nominee and her position that "public service is about service."