demi lovato addiction

Demi Lovato Proves That Even The Strongest People Struggle

Even the strongest hit rock bottom.

13
Demi Lovato's Official Instagram

Demi Lovato proves that sometimes, even the strongest people hit rock bottom.

If you remember, the singer has been open in the past about her journey with drugs, alcohol and almost losing everything, including her management team, in a desperate attempt to get sober.

Recently, Lovato celebrated six years sober and fans celebrated right along side of her, that is, until she shared some news in the form of a song.

"Sober," was the name of the track released on June 21 and reveals that she has relapsed after six incredible years of being sober.

You can hear the heartbreak in Demi's voice in the chorus of the song, "Momma, I'm so sorry, I'm not sober anymore. Daddy, please forgive me for the drink spilled on the floor. To the ones who never left me, we've been down this road before. I'm so sorry, I'm not sober anymore."

With each song that Lovato releases, she exposes more of herself to the world. While it may leave her vulnerable and open to criticism, she is someone we need to see more of in the world.

In her documentary, "Simply Complicated," she tells her story with drugs, alcohol, struggling to get help, almost losing her management team and gives a glimpse of the making of "Tell Me You Love me," her 2017 album.

Talking about sobriety can be hard for people, especially those who are in denial that they need help, because the first step to solving a problem is admitting there is one.

While I do not struggle with drug or alcohol addictions, I know people, both friends and family, who do. Watching them through their highs and lows was truly heartbreaking.

Sobriety does not happen overnight. Getting clean is not how it's portrayed in the movies. Sometimes, you don't have a group of friends or family cheering you on. Sometimes, you go through rehab by yourself because they gave up on you. Sometimes, it takes losing it all to realize you had it all.

During the journey to being sober, people relapse. While it can be discouraging, it's apart of recovery. Sometimes it'll happen once, sometimes it'll happen a lot. With resilience and perseverance, you can bounce back, and you'll be stronger than ever.

Lovato has so much strength and courage for opening up about her journey to people who may not understand, and I can only imagine how draining that must be for her.

While it's disappointing to hear that she relapsed, we have to understand that she is human, and humans make mistakes, and we also learn from them.

Our mistakes make us stronger, they make us who we are and we should always remember that they are apart of a journey.

I have faith in Lovato that she will bounce back. She will come back stronger than ever and blow us all away like the bad-ass, independent woman she is.