Delta Gamma Lectureship In Value And Ethics: Aly Raisman

Olympic gold medalist and sexual abuse survivor and activist.

363
Aly Raisman on Instagram

The Gamma Zeta chapter of Delta Gamma at LSU hosts biennial events of Lectureship in Values and Ethics. Lectureship began in 1992 when Dr. Paul Martin established the Delta Gamma Lectureship in Values and Ethics to honor his wife Dorothy Garrett Martin (Dotty), Eta-Akron, in celebration of their 50th wedding anniversary. The goal of the lectureships is “to establish a venue on college campuses where values and ethics could be discussed in an open format.”

The Delta Gamma Foundation has taken great pride in sponsoring this unique program, which is a prime example of its mission to “[provide] resources for educational growth and philanthropic service for all members.” Delta Gamma Lectureship in Values and Ethics is a program only 20 out of 150 Delta Gamma chapters across the Fraternity have the privilege to host. Gamma Zeta’s Lectureship program was established at Louisiana State University in 2008.

Bringing in speakers for lectureship in values and ethics is a great opportunity to bring together the community to talk about current, pressing issues affecting people from all walks of life. In the past years, speakers have included Steve Ford, actor and son of President Gerald Ford; Aron Ralston, best-selling author and inspiration for the five-time Academy Award-nominated film "127 Hours"; Giuliana Rancic, E! News anchor and breast cancer survivor; and Gabrielle Union, actress and sexual assault survivor.

This year Aly Raisman, Olympic gold medalist, sexual abuse survivor, and activist, will speak. Her platform is used to promote positive body image and encourage everyone to be comfortable in their own skin. There will be a moderated question and answer session facilitated by Chad Sabadie, morning anchor on NBC 33-Baton Rouge.

The event will take place on Wednesday, April 11th at 7 p.m. in the Pete Maravich Assembly Center at Louisiana State University. Admission is free and the event is open to the public. Delta Gamma is also having a contest to win a chance to meet Aly Raisman too. The contest can be found on Delta Gamma's Facebook and Instagram pages.

A little background on Raisman is that she is a Massachusetts native. Aly is also the two-time team captain of the gold medal-winning U.S. Olympic Women's Gymnastics Teams in 2012 and 2016. She was the most decorated U.S. gymnast at the 2012 Games and the first American gymnast to win gold in the floor exercise. Aly stole the hearts of millions during her silver medal performance in the All-Around competition at the 2016 Games. Raisman is the second most decorated American gymnast of all-time with six total Olympic medals and one of two U.S. gymnasts to make back-to-back Olympic teams in more than 15 years.

In her New York Times best-selling memoir – Fierce – she shares her journey, including her survival of sexual abuse. She shares her story to help advocate for sexual abuse survivors and push for systematic changes within the sport of gymnastics.

Aly released a letter called, "This Is Survival" on December 7, 2017, sharing her story on The Players' Tribune.

"I’ve chosen to open up about my experience because I want change. It is very hard and uncomfortable to talk about. I have learned that everyone copes differently. There’s no map that shows you the path to healing. Some days I feel happy and protected for sharing my story. Other days I have bad anxiety and either feel traumatized from Larry Nassar’s abuse or I fear something else will happen in the future. When I have these scary thoughts, I try my best to find things to help me manage my fears.
I am writing this letter to share some of my story, in hopes that it will help others understand the profound impact Larry’s abuse has had on me, how his betrayal of trust has changed me and how his actions years ago continue to affect my daily life." — Aly Raisman

She shares about how although we each go through highs and lows in our lives, both shape us into who we are. Another point in her letter is about how abusers should not be protected and that the power goes to the survivor.

"Sexual abuse isn’t just in the moment. It is forever. Healing is forever." — Aly Raisman

Delta Gamma was established at LSU in 1947 and since that time Has focused on carrying out the Fraternity’s mission "to foster high ideals of friendship among women, to promote their educational and cultural interests, to create in them a true sense of social responsibility and to develop in them the best qualities of character."

Event: Delta Gamma Gamma Zeta Lectureship in Values and Ethics

Speaker: Aly Raisman

When: Wednesday April 11th, 2018

Where: Pete Maravich Assembly Center on Louisiana State University's Campus (PMAC at LSU)