Delta Gamma Launches “Do Good" Week

Delta Gamma Launches “Do Good" Week

70
Delta Gamma Launches “Do Good" Week

DG’s at the University of Maryland participated in the first-ever "Do Good" Week last week, a national week-long event focused on — you guessed it — "Doing Good" for others.

Delta Gamma’s goal with "Do Good" Week was to raise awareness and encourage its members to perform volunteer work to better their environment, community and selves. It was a measure by Delta Gamma’s Executive Offices, meaning that chapters across the country participated last week.

“Delta Gamma announced the initiative in May,” President Katherine Powers said. “Chapters were provided materials about how to get involved in 'Do Good' Week. We read all the suggestions they gave us and made them work for our chapter and campus. Katie, our vice president: Foundation, did a great job planning a wide variety of ways to get involved so chapter members could participate in different ways that fit their schedule."

"Do Good" Week was created because it coincides with the core values of all Delta Gammas. Their letters were even chosen because of the founders’ desire to express their intentions of "Doing Good" for others. DG's were encouraged to post about their experiences "Doing Good" on social media throughout the week to connect with other chapters and Executive Offices.

“Delta Gammas are known for 'Doing Good;' that's our slogan," Powers said. “'Do Good' Week was an international initiative. The Beta Sigma chapter wanted to provide our members with opportunities to 'Do Good' both with the campus community and beyond.”

Some of the things the Beta Sigmas did included volunteering with the university’s Landscape Services, writing letters and making care packages for deployed troops, and taking part in a “kindness competition” where sisters tried to do as many good deeds and random acts of kindness as they could.

“Delta Gamma is a values-based organization,” Powers said. “We work to live these values everyday and 'Doing Good' aligns with that. This week was a good time to concentrate on 'Doing Good,' in big ways and small.”

For its inaugural year, "Do Good" Week was successful at both this university and across the country, with over 40,000 Facebook interactions throughout the week, according to Director of Communications at Executive Offices Mary Ellen Hardies. In the future, the UMD chapter hopes to expand its efforts with "Do Good" Week even more.

"We want to provide more planned opportunities for chapter members and encourage them to get more involved in 'Doing Good' on their own," Powers said. "We'd also love to encourage other Greek chapters at the University of Maryland to get involved and challenge their members to 'Do Good' during the week."