I Asked People What Their Definition Of Love Is

It's always interesting to know different people's perspectives on life. Love is a very important thing in our lives, so why does everyone have a different opinion about it? There are plenty of dictionary definitions, but they aren't ever what really defines it. I asked people for their honest definition of love and this is what they said:

"An unconditional feeling of contentment, protection, and fulfillment for another person."

"Finding the person you want to spend the rest of your life with and can get through the good times and bad times together."

"Ask no questions."

"Love doesn't mean you have to be dating someone or be related. I think that to have love for someone there is a mutual relationship of respect and that both people get along with each other. Also, you can work through the issues you have with each other too."

"Compassion, communication, and understanding. Love is a safe space."

"Love isn't about the dates or money spent on the other person or even physical affection. Love is making someone feel so comfortable in their most vulnerable states and being there to provide mental, emotional, and spiritual affection."

"I honestly don't know if I believe in love, like I believe in obsession/infatuation, which can be mistaken for love."

"Love is doing stuff for someone you don't have to think twice about, randomly doing cute stuff for them, and being fully comfortable around them."

"Love is feeling protected and safe around someone. You can be comfortable around them and not worry about how you're presenting yourself to them the whole time. They create balance in the relationship you have with them.

"Love is something that takes time and is a combination of respect, attraction, and connection with a person. It's a feeling that makes you want to spend a lot of time with them and a general appreciation of everything about them, even your flaws. Like a lot of times I think it causes people to have tunnel vision *cues song*"

"No one really knows what love is."

"Caring for others and expecting absolutely nothing in return."

"Extra hot fudge on my hot fudge sundae."

"Forgiveness always and you are impossible to offend. Love is a safe comfort zone."

"Baby don't hurt me"

"Communication, connection, able to laugh with one another and enjoy each other's company, physical affection, finishing each other's sandwiches."

"Unconditional acceptance and devotion." 

"I believe love would be you accepting someone regardless of their opinions and their likes and dislikes and acceptance." 

"Love is not only worrying about your own feelings or caring only for yourself. It's about growing with another person and experiencing a whole new part of life with someone new."

"Mutual admiration, respect, and support all mixed with tons of compromise."

"Knowing that the person that you are with is the person you want to share the rest of your life with; through good times and through the bad."

"You."

The last quote is from my boyfriend, he is admittedly a sweetheart.

Feeling safe and appreciating someone is the cumulative opinion about what love is defined as. It's not just a "deep feeling", there is much more to it than that. Whether you've been married 40 years or haven't even had your first kiss yet, love is something we all can experience and define in our own ways.