Credit: Denise Mattox
Pin It

In Defense Of The Pumpkin Spice Latte

Don't call me basic.

Add to Collection

To add this article to a collection, you must be logged in.

Fall is gaining on us, and whether you're ready to welcome it with open arms (who isn't?) or you're still clinging to your white jeans and sandals, it will be here soon. Along with fall comes scarves, football games, lots of plaid and that one drink from Starbucks everyone loves or loves to hate.

That's right, I'm talking about the infamous Pumpkin Spice Latte. In fact, I'm proposing a challenge to everyone this year: stop throwing shade toward all things pumpkin-flavored.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying pumpkin pie spice in your coffee, chocolate, cookies, or anything else. It is also perfectly fine to hate that certain combo of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice. The only thing that is not okay is calling people names for liking certain coffee flavors. Just because you're too "concerned about your health" to put the artificial orange dye in your coffee doesn't mean you need to preach it to me. Clearly, I'm not that concerned about the colors or the sugars. Partial ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

I'm not saying that I don't know about the fake colors or the sugars. I know all about the "evils of artificial colors," yet, I don't care. I'm not drinking a PSL every day, or even every week. It's a treat, so I choose to ignore it. When I'm sitting inside Starbucks and the air conditioner is blowing, I can almost pretend it isn't 90 degrees outside. Is it so crazy that I might like fall flavors even though it doesn't ever feel like fall in the South? I love pumpkin spice in my coffee. Sue me... But please don't call me basic.

Self-proclaimed Southern Belle with a coffee addiction and a fondness for brunch.

Like Odyssey on Facebook