I Supported The Death Penalty Until I Had A Dream About It

"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind."

9

Yes, I will admit that I used to support the death penalty. I believed that if someone committed a heinous crime, it is the duty of the government to sentence them to death in order to promote community safety and justice for the victim and his/her family. I regarded capital punishment as a disincentive to violent crimes.

There are valid arguments for both sides, but the purpose of this article is not to change your mind regarding capital punishment. Rather, I just wanted to talk about a dream I had that changed my views on the death penalty.

In this dream, I was framed for committing a gruesome murder. I was tried in court in a span of a year, and the jury found me guilty. The judge sentenced me to death by a firing squad, which is a punishment that has been banned in the United States since 2004.

Even though it was a dream, I felt the misery of knowing the truth, and no one else believing me. I distinctively recall the dreadful feeling I felt on the death row. Being surrounded by evil criminals, knowing I was 100% innocent. Every other 15 year old was out enjoying their life, while I was living out my last days in solitary confinement.

Some may say that death is an easy way out for criminals, however, in my dream I felt that death was the worst possible option. Being deprived of the precious gift of life is the worst thing a person could experience.

Even in the era of cutting-edge forensics, there is always a margin of error. Since 1973, more than 153 people have been excused from the death sentence. Imagine how many people sentenced to death were actually innocent. Even if the statistical chance of an individual being wrongfully convicted and sentenced to death is minuscule, there is always a possibility. Sentencing an innocent person to death is immoral and irreversible.