Dear Family,

Dear Family,

An Open Letter to Loved Ones

40
Dear Family,
WikiMedia

This letter is for the people who will always be there - the ones who never fail to have your back, no matter how awful things become.

Well, family, I wanted to tell you that life apart has been interesting to say the least.

Leaving for college felt right. I felt that it was time to venture into the real world and find my own independence. The restrictions of being home were no more. I was excited to say the least.

And, at first, being away was great. I felt like I was truly in control for the first time in my life. I chose when to wake up, when to go out, what to eat; everything. However, as independent as I was becoming, I took a minute and realized that I needed to thank you for a few things.

To my oldest sister,

Thank you for teaching me to not take crap from anyone. People in this world are going to disagree with you all the time and test your strength. You have to stand up for yourself and not let anyone walk all over you. So many times I could have let my emotions get the best of me and succumb to the feeling of defeat. You have always been a strong-minded girl who went out and worked for what you wanted. You taught me to stay strong, even if you feel like crumbling. Thank you for being my rock.

To my other sister,

Thank you for teaching me how to deal with people. We haven't always gotten along. Well, if we are being honest here, we usually fight more times than not. However, you taught me how to handle situations where someone may be upset or angry. Through experiences of our many fights, I learned how to stay composed and discuss rationally rather than having screaming fits. Because of the skills I learned with you, I am able to deal with conflict resolution pretty well. You aren't the easiest person to get along with, but I am happy that the fighting has ceased(mostly).

To my brother,

Thank you for teaching me that I have worth. As the only boy, you probably wished that one of us was a boy. Dealing with three sisters everyday isn't the easiest task in the world. As we got older, you always assured me that you were there if I didn't want to go running to mom and dad or just to hang out. You've always been protective with boys, making sure I get treated right. You taught me to appreciate myself before I love someone else. I miss our jam sessions in the car driving everywhere and anywhere and our little talks we used to have. Thank you for looking out for my best interest always.

Finally, to my parents,

I wish I could say everyday was sunshine and rainbows. But, its not. We have had our fair share of disagreements and stressful arguments. At the end of the day, I know you guys love me, but I do enjoy the space apart. I am sorry if it feels I do not give you the time of day; I am just trying to find myself here. And that is hard to do when you guys are constantly in my ear. I guess part of me stresses out because I want to make you guys proud, but please understand that I am growing as an individual here. I just want the respect of growing on my own and making my own conscious decisions. I am doing my best here, but I feel as if that is not good enough usually. It is usually just constant nagging to do better. Nonetheless, I love you guys and I appreciate all the support you have given me. You taught me how to love people and how to be loved. You taught me how to reach for the stars, as you both have done in your careers. Thank you for being who you are.

We sometimes take our families for granted, but we must remember who will be there when everyone else is gone. So, please take two minutes out of your day to text your mother or send a funny picture. Let them know you are still there and care. That is all they want.

Sincerely,

Your Not-So-Little Girl