If you’re as lucky as I am, you have been blessed by God to have a younger brother. To many of you, you may be thinking “yikes, this is the LAST thing I wanted...” but to me, this is the best thing that could have happened to me.

To My Younger Brother,

Thank you for overreacting. If anyone (ah-hem, ex-boyfriends) ever did one negative thing that made me feel even the slightest bit upset, you were never afraid to speak up about it. You may say it’s because Dad taught you to be that way but between us, it’s just your way of showing how much you value and care about me as a sister.

Thank you for all the memories that we share. I will always love the memories of playing outside in the backyard with you, even if I cried and complained and ran inside because I claimed that you were too tough on me. From those younger years, we grew up into the teenager/adults that we are now. The memories we make today aren’t ones that are outside playing until the street lights came on but instead, they involve going out on errands or taking turns in the car a little too fast.

Thank you for being so tough on me. If I never had someone that was as emotionally tough on me, (sometimes physically tough too) I would have never been as strong as I am right now. So, if you think I’m not very strong now, imagine how weak I would be without you.

Thank you for being stuck with me. I mean, I know you have to be stuck with me, but thank you for relatively dealing with me. I know I am annoying and push your buttons but, at the end of the day, I’m still your older sister, and part of my job is to push your buttons!

As you grow older and start to head off to college, know that you will start an amazing journey to help kick-start the rest of your life. Everyone is so proud of all that you have accomplished and you never cease to amaze everyone with your bright future. I hope you always know that no matter where you go, whether it is another state hours away from me or five minutes up the road, your big sister will always support you and be there for you.

Thank you for showing me that a younger brother can be an amazing role model.