Dear Trump, Please Stop Demonizing Immigrants

Trump's first State of the Union address is an attack on immigrants

309

As America tuned into Trump's first State of the Union, an air of uncertainty surrounded our society. We are in the midst of a Russia Investigation, government shutdowns, the threat of deportation for thousands, and a monumental sexual harassment movement.

Our society is more divided than ever and the question is how do we come together to provide justice and freedom for those injured by our current American environment. We looked to Trump to speak words of unity in his State of the Union, yet he worked to demonize immigrants and place Democrats in a corner.

While many of us have issues with Trump, I have to admit Trump's staff knew what they were doing. The juxtaposition of personal stories of loss followed by the introduction of policy and the incitement of action evoked passion in even the cold-hearted. To discuss immigration he brought in two sets of parents who lost their children to MS 13 gang violence, a violent gang founded in Los Angeles by Salvadoran immigrants.

The tearful faces of the parents are hard to stomach. I cannot imagine the pain they have faced through the loss of their children, but what about the thousands of good immigrants that came to America seeking the American dream.

There exist good and bad in every population. We cannot demonize immigrants as a whole due to the actions of a part of the whole. It is estimated that 2,458,000 immigrants are teachers. 4,425,000 immigrants are in the food industry. 5,548,000 immigrants are in sales. Immigrants work hard to earn a living and pay their taxes. They give their lives to serve others. When will America serve them?

DACA works to provide a legal opportunity for immigrants who came to America as children the opportunity to work and live in America while working towards citizenship, yet Trump's image of an immigrant is a gang member.

The demonization of immigrants constructs a harmful narrative that betrays the foundation of America. America was founded by immigrants. We once proudly called our nation a "Melting Pot". Now immigrant is a bad word. Trump says "Let's Make America Great Again", but misses what America truly is: a society of diverse ideals and opportunities that give citizens the chance to rise above their ranks and create the life that they have dreamed of.

The founding fathers of America dreamed of a world where they had independence from Britain and they fought until they had that freedom. Shouldn't we give immigrants the chance to fight for their right to citizenship?

The construction of Trump's first State of the Union places Democrats in the position that if they do not support his policy they are "Un-American" and morally troubled. By demonizing immigrants he evokes fearmongering, making it seem that if the Democrats do not support Trump's policy they will be supporting murders and rapists.

DACA should be a bi-partisan issue. These immigrants came to America as children and have had to jump through hoops to be a part of the DACA program. They are not murderers. They are not rapists. Stop demonizing them. Work together to create a policy that allows America to be a safe home for those looking for a better life.

Now is the time for unity. America needs change. A positive change in immigration policy. A positive change for women's rights. A positive change for African American rights. This is not the time to divide America. I hope for a future where every American can feel safe.

I don't know if Trump will ever be the president to unite America, but as citizens, we can work to support those in need. Reach out to your local senator or representative. Your voice matters and you can help change America.