Dear Society: We Don't Owe You Children
Politics

Dear Society: We Don't Owe You Children

What's going on with the Cult of the Mom?

254
Dear Society: We Don't Owe You Children
Scoop Whoop

Originally written March 13, 2016.

Is it wrong to say that, now that I’m single again, dating just feels like so much work I’m not even sure I want to deal with it? It’s like a part-time job just SWIPING and CONVERSING, and really displaying the full extent of my feminine prowess and womanly wiles just takes up so much energy and time that I just kind of feel like I don’t have time for all the work it takes. I’m tired. I’m lazy. I want to go hiking and read books in my pajamas. I want to paint and talk about politics with my friends. Having to sort through all the people just for the sake of finding “a new one” is exhausting, and also I just don’t really care at this point in my life.

Am I going to like, run out? Do I need to sow my oats whilst I still can? Will everyone good get married off? Cause I read a theory on some stupid Buzzfeed-type thing about all the “Prime Contenders” of the marriage pool coupling off by their mid-twenties and then the secondary contenders (i.e., the more undesirables) were the only ones left.

I mean, I don’t want to die alone.

I do want to know that someone’s around who will smell my rotting corpse and notice if I die alone in my apartment. And I know I’ll probably never be hotter than I am now. But I’ll also probably never have so many doors open- so many chances to make a career, so many chances to learn about things, so many chances to learn about life as an individual, so many chances to grow up on my own and to forge my own path without the objective BEING “Another Person."

I think, if anything, that’s the biggest gendered gap for me, and also the biggest fear. Because I’ve done it so many times. I’ve thrown away dreams, big ones, and I’ve turned down dreams, small ones, things that would have ADVANCED MY PERSONAL LIFE AND GOALS AND HAPPINESS, because they conflicted with me being with someone else.

And honestly, that’s bullsh*t. I can’t claim to want gender equality and then not hold myself to the same standard as I think ought to exist. Because social change and shifts in gendered attitudes start in individuals, and that’s how society changes.

People will always start to wonder if I don’t get married soon enough, and I can’t tell you how many times I (then offensively, now humorously) have been asked when I was going to "go ahead and have kids before it’s too late, because if you wait, you’re never ready.”

To which I would reply- stable relationship/marriage will hopefully precede that, I’d also like to finish college first, I’d also like to have a career.

To which I’d be informed, time and again, “None of those things compare to being a mother. Being a mother is the single best thing you can do with your life, and I just gotta tell ya, those are good goals, but you would make such a great mother and that is the ultimate sacrifice."

Another Example:

Me: I have so much respect for the beauty of the sacred almost superhuman love and sacrifice I see in parents for their children. I’m in awe of it and it’s one of the most beautiful, selfless things I’ve ever seen.
Some Mother: It is, and I will never understand people who aren’t selfless enough to be able to experience that. Having children IS the single most beautiful sacrifice and thing you can do with your life. When people say they don’t want to have children cause they don’t want to give up their ‘lifestyle?’ That’s just means they are too selfish. And that’s fine so long as they acknowledge they’re making that choice out of selfishness because they are selfish people.

ANOTHER Example:

I share a personal story about how much I love my significant other, or how much I love my younger siblings, or how much I love my parents.
Some Mother: And I gotta tell you, you think that’s something? You don’t even KNOW what love is until you’ve had children. You think you know, but you don’t.
Me: Yeah, I cannot imagine what that must be like and I love witnessing the love of parents because it is one of the strongest and most powerful kinds of love I have ever seen. (Me respecting that I do not understand, etc.)
Some Mother: There is no way you can ever understand until you have a child of your own. Not even the way you love your boyfriend, or your parents, or your siblings. You do not know love until you’ve had a child.
(Insert me, saying nothing, trying to respect that I don’t know parental love but also trying not to feel patronized by the fact that I was just informed it’s impossible for me to know what love is until I’ve reproduced.)

Another Example:

I share some personal story about how awesome it is growing up and learning to love myself and be an adult and transition from fear to just feminine power and agency, to feel like I’m not a girl asking the world for things, but I’m a woman doing things of my own accord.
Some Mother: And I’ll tell you, the biggest thing that did that for me was having kids. You think you’re an adult, but just wait till you have kids. There are some things you just can’t know until you actually have one of your own. When you have kids, that’s when you become a Woman.
Another Mother: Yeah, I was not really a woman until I had children. It’s something that makes you a Woman and it gives you these instincts that women are meant to have, and until you’ve had kids you just don’t have that.

Countless Other Gems

When I express that I'm not ready:You’ll change your mind.
When I display a skill of any kind: You’ll make such a great mother.
When I describe a dream of how I want to change the world: You will make such a wonderful mother someday.
When I do anything cool ever, just in general: Sometimes I look at you and I just think, she’s gonna make such a great mom some day.
Any time ever that pregnancy is discussed: Now when are YOU thinking of having one of your own?
'It’s just a bond you can’t understand.'
'It’s the most beautiful experience that can ever happen to a woman.'
'My only advice is, don’t wait too long. If you wait till you’re ready, you’ll never be ready.'
'I know you don’t mean that- of course you’re going to have kids soon.'
'Just remember, none of that career stuff is gonna matter once you look into the eyes of your child.'
'You’ll understand once your time comes.'
'Don’t you worry about who will take care of you when you get old?' (???)

OKAY. GUYS. MOMS OF THE WORLD.

WHAT IS THIS?

What is this bizarre, weirdly cultlike pressure to reproduce?

A: If I have a good quality, WHY DO YOU TELL ME I’LL MAKE A GREAT MOTHER INSTEAD OF TELLING ME I HAVE A GOOD QUALITY. I would also make a great lawyer, a great interior decorator, a great manager, a great actress. WHY A GREAT MOTHER.

B: I respect you and the beauty of your choice. I respect that I do not understand. How are you going to disrespect me by telling me MY OWN IDENTITY AND EXPERIENCES are not quite As Valid because I don’t have kids? —–> How are you going to tell me I AM NOT A WOMAN?—–> How can you tell me I DO NOT KNOW LOVE?—–> How can you tell me I am not fulfilling my purpose as existing simply because I have not yet reproduced?

C: How can you call me selfish for making a CHOICE not to have children yet? How is that SELFISH? ——-> Since when do I “owe” children to society?——-> Since when is it selfish to pursue my own dreams?——-> Also, SINCE WHEN IS THERE A TIME LIMIT. I mean, I get biology. But to pressure me that I’d “better hurry up” is to tell me that I don’t know when I’M ready.

Wouldn’t the world be a better place if some people just said “I’m not ready” and were aware of that, because, if I do have kids, I want to give them the best life possible? Why does that make me selfish?——–> Why is it selfish for me to have career goals and aspirations that are not centered around reproduction? MAYBE I HAVE OTHER MERITS TOO. Why is it selfish for me to want to have other experiences? Why can’t I travel? Why can’t I go to Grad School? Why am I a bad member of society for not contributing my seed?——–> ARE THERE NOT ENOUGH UNWANTED, HURTING KIDS IN THE WORLD. WHY WOULD YOU PRESSURE ME TO MAKE MORE JUST FOR THE SAKE OF IT AND TELL ME I’M NOT A REAL PERSON TILL I DO.

Long story short, you are telling me:

- I do not get to be a woman until I reproduce.

- I am inherently inferior and Less-Woman until I reproduce.

- I am selfish for doing things with my life that I choose over reproduction.

- Reproduction should be my primary aim and is the pinnacle of all things.

- I am incapable of feeling love until I reproduce.

- I am going to “change my mind” because “not being ready or sure about wanting kids” is just not a believable, acceptable choice.

- I am violating woman code.

- I am squandering a shared social resource (my womb).

- The pinnacle of all my talents is to be a mother.

- Every strength I have relates to my mothering potential.

- I exist to reproduce and am fundamentally incomplete until I do so.

By This Logic:

- Infertile women are: lesser women, incapable of feeling love, incapable of truly self-actualizing, somehow selfish too (“they can adopt” -an actual thing that was said to me).

I do not think I need to elaborate on how horrifically offensive of a statement it is to strip someone of their “womanhood” because they can’t perform a reproductive function. —-> However, infertile women, “it’s different,” because they don’t have a choice, and “that must be so hard for them to never get to experience that.” But if I am fertile and don’t want to fertilize, that’s just completely unacceptable. It’s only acceptable when you have no choice.

I don't even want to know what you all would be say about transgender women, but just for the record, you're de-legitimizing them too.

Also By This Logic:

- Thinking practically about when I would personally best be fit to have kids, if I choose to, instead of succumbing to social pressure, is SELFISH. I feel like that’s selfless and I feel like that’s a good idea, but yet it is still seen as self-indulgent.

**The overall theme I am witnessing here is this:

the sin itself is the expression of choice.

To express Choice, Agency, or Control over my own reproductive choices is Not My Place, it is Selfish, it makes me Inferior, it makes me Incomplete, it makes me Un-Woman.

BY THIS LOGIC:

To exercise choice over reproduction is un-woman.

To choose self over reproduction is un-woman.

To exercise the agency of Self is to violate social norms of womanhood.

Women do not exist to do things for themselves.

Women have a social duty to be incubators, regardless of person.

Choice is un-womanly.

Women are “out of place” when they exercise reproductive choice.

Because women exist for reproduction, and they, their dreams, ambitions, life plans, and especially their bodies, belong to society- their bodies are in the public domain.

I think having kids is great. I admire and respect it.

I think it’s absurd and completely ridiculous that I’m 24 and people are already telling me these things.

I think moms are amazing and being a mom is amazing and I will never claim to understand it.

However, I think that in no way do women NEED to be moms to be women, in no way are they missing out on self-actualization, and in no way do they owe that to society.

I think being a mom should be a choice- and it IS beautiful beyond description. However, I think there are other equally valid and important choices.

I do not think being a mom is the only choice, or the best choice. I think every choice a woman makes is what she believes to be the best choice for her. I think showing that agency and self-awareness is cool. I think it’s mature. I think it’s awesome.

I think it’s an expression of autonomy, and, in a way, I think it’s SELFLESS to not have children.

I think the Cult of the Mom is creepy.

So for the sake of devil’s advocate, I’m going to play the opposite, so we can think about maybe how ridiculous this social pressure is.

For the sake of showing you how you sound, how there’s two sides to a coin, and in defense of the Women Who Don’t Want To, the women you have called un-woman, and selfish, let’s just say, for example, that the opposite is true.

How about this:

Having children is selfish.–> There are already so many orphans and kids without parents in the world.–> Overpopulation.–> There is so much good I can do in the world, and focusing on perpetuating my gene pool over the world as a whole, is ultimately kinda selfish.–> Isn’t it kinda narcissistic just to want to make little copies of myself.–> Aren’t I being selfish if I know I have propensity to family diseases that I could pass on to a child?–> Is having a child actually fundamentally bettering the world as a whole in any way? There is no shortage of children. Wouldn’t it be better to let people who want children have them, and leave everyone else alone?–> Passing on my own ancestry is not a social good. It’s selfish. I can leave an impact on the next generation through writing, teaching, and bettering the world.–>

I am intentionally bringing a child into a very scary world, and if I do not feel personally ready or safe, that is a selfish decision, because I’d rather have a kid to satisfy my own desires than think about the quality of that kid’s life.–>

Having children requires the vast majority of my time and assets, and it is selfish to pour those time and assets into the proliferation of my own line instead of the world as a whole.–>

Here’s a big inversion for you on the “not woman.” Again, just to repeat the antithesis of what you have said to us:

Women who have kids are less woman. They are unable to express their autonomy to the same extent and to develop themselves because they must invest it all, including their very identity, into the raising of children. Therefore they sacrifice some agency, and are less women. They are “inferior.” They are “incapable of knowing true self-expression because they are crippled by the concern of children, therefore they cannot understand love or self-actualization because they don’t get the chance to develop that. They are in indentured servitude to little people, so they are, in fact, subordinate, and un-woman.”

^^Okay. Now I would never say those things. Those things are obviously untrue. I am not arguing them in the least. But that’s what you’re arguing.That’s what you’re telling me.

And I’m telling you, it is cruel when you invert that line of thinking, and it can absolutely go both ways.

So how about we not be nasty.

How about we not make each other feel bad.

How about we claim our own womanhood and femininity HOWEVER and WHENEVER and to whatever extent it pleases us.

“Womanhood” is not an identity that can be given or taken away by society. It is OURS.

You know what else is ours? Autonomy.

I think it’s awesome that you made that choice. I think it’s beautiful. I would never tell you differently because that is NOT MY PLACE.

And it is not yours.

So stop asking me when I’m going to have kids.

Stop telling me I’m not a woman.

Stop telling me I’m incomplete.

Stop telling me I don’t know love.

Stop telling me I’m being selfish.

Stop telling me I’ll change my mind.

You’re not really mad that I’m not having children.

In fact, I would probably love to one day.

You’re mad that I’m expressing autonomy of choice.

You’re mad that I’m considering other options.

You’re mad that I don’t view that as my ultimate potential.

You’re mad that I dare be selfish enough to make choices based on my best interest, something women are not supposed to do.

You’re mad that I consider it a choice, and that I, a woman, am exercising choice.

You’re not mad that I’m not having babies. You’re mad cause I’m acting like a man.