Dear Self, You Are Perfect Just The Way You Are

You've worked hard to get where you are - don't let anyone ruin that for you.

201
Stephanie Iverson

Dear self,

Hi. It’s been a little while since we’ve really talked. Up until recently, we didn’t really need to. Things have been kinda rough lately though, haven’t they? I know today was a particularly rough day.

I just wanted to take a minute to remind you of a few things that you might have a hard time remembering when things get rough.These are just a few things I feel you need to remember on days like today when you start reverting back to old habits and longing for past relationships and personalities that no longer fit who you are.

1. You are perfect just the way you are.

Okay, obviously you’re not perfect, you definitely have flaws, but you don’t need to try to change to be accepted by someone else. You used to be so good at this, and it just made things confusing. For a while, anytime someone asked you if you liked certain bands or movies, you genuinely didn’t know. You would tailor your answers to fit with whoever you were talking to. You never had to do that, but now that you know yourself better you DEFINITELY don’t need to do that again.

Don’t change your opinions just to relate to others. Don’t tone down your love for things that matter to you just because the people around you don’t share that passion. You've been doing so well with this, and I'm so proud of you! You've begun to use social media sites like Instagram to really reflect who you are and the things you love.

Keep doing that! Celebrate the fact that you love so many things so passionately! SCREAM your love for Star Wars and Bastille! Proudly talk about how much Cloverfield fascinates you! Watch Twin Peaks and The X Files daily if it makes you happy! Post a million screenshots of the songs you're excited about! Loudly be you! Don’t silence yourself to make other people more comfortable. Which brings me to the next thing. . .

2. You have taken the time to get to know yourself. Don’t let anyone mess that up.

You like indie, folky music, Lana Del Rey, Lorde, Taylor Swift, and Ellie Goulding. You love space movies, superhero movies, and quirky indie films. You love Star Wars more than you do most people. YA Fiction is your favorite thing to read. You love florals but hate animal print. Flowy, sheer fabrics make you insanely happy, and skater skirts and dresses are as important as fandom shirts in your wardrobe.

You own too many dark purple lipsticks, and eyeliner still scares you. Few things make you happier than being surrounded by books and movie posters. You hate coffee, lasagna, and cheesecake. Your Christian faith is incredibly important to you. So are your liberal political beliefs. You often like to see movies, go to the gym, and eat alone. This is who you are right now. If you change, change because YOU want it, not because you think it’ll help you keep friends.

3.Your friends DO love you.

You have two of the most incredible friends on earth. Seriously, they are amazing. One of them has stuck with you through so much over the course of about seven years of friendship. The other has been with you for less than six months, but she’s always there when you need her. They make you smile and laugh, and they are the two people who know you better than anyone else on earth.

They know you completely, and they still accept you. They put up with hours of whining and panicking in the most loving, supportive way. You’ve never had other friends like them. Truthfully, you don’t deserve them at all. They constantly do little things to show you how much they love and care for you, whether it’s texting you random Marvel memes or sending you surprise postcards. So, anytime your anxiety tries to tell you that they don’t actually love you, tell your anxiety that it needs to shut up.

4. You are where you are for a reason.

You love your job, but I know you also often wonder if you’ll ever get a full-time job where you can use the degree you worked hard for. You often think “what if?” when thinking about past friendships. Sometimes you resent the fact that you have yet to find a place to become home, or that you’re still stuck in such a small town. Please stop. You don’t need to waste time worrying about these things.

You’ll get there eventually! Right now, you are where you’re supposed to be, surrounded by the people you’re supposed to be around. Stop thinking about how you should be somewhere else at this point in life. Stop trying to imagine what life would be like if certain friendships hadn’t ended. You are so genuinely happy with where you are whenever you’re not overthinking and comparing yourself to others. Cling to that happiness.

Please, remember these things. Don’t let a few hours in an old, comfortable environment send you spiraling back. You deserve to be happy, to be celebrated for being you. Don’t let anyone take that away from you.

Love,

You