Dear Riley, Please Don’t Come a Slave to This World

My prayer for you is that you don`t fall in college.

85
Regan Marie

Dear Riley,

So here we are! Next year we will both be at the same college, just with two very different majors. Things between us the past two years have been without a doubt complicated. I sometimes hear rumors about you, that you made-out with a guy you barely knew on the night you meant him, that your email background is a shirtless man, or that you role play with strangers on the internet. I hope none of these are true since I like to see the best in people, but my fear is that they are real.

I know you were born out of wedlock. I know your dad has gotten a DUI before, perhaps this is why you are against drinking. You`ve seen first hand what drinking does to a person. Your dad, however, is a good man who just once made a poor choice. I know you stand against drinking and premarital sex, maybe because of the involvement they both have had in your life, but I can`t help yet be concerned.

My prayer for you is that you do not fall in college. However, I am scared you will. I want to be there to help you stay true and strong to your current morals and faith, or even help strengthen them. High school and college are two very different things. I don`t wish for you to give into the pressures of this world, or even you become a slave to it.

There is only so much one person can do, however. Temptation for you will only get stronger in college, just because you are on your own. No one else is responsible for you, except you. I find myself wanting to be partly responsible for you. No one can resist temptation forever on their own, I want to ensure you find the right friends. The friends that will challenge and strengthen your faith and not destroy it.

I know you go to a Catholic high school where having faith is an actual "cool" thing. It seems like you do have a strong faith. I hope you do because based on your other actions it seems you are a "clock-in, clock-out" Catholic. Meaning you only "have faith" when it is required, such as school, mass, or retreats. I hope I am wrong when I say this, but it seems like this is what you are. I pray and hope your faith is stronger than the outside view.

I will not stop praying, I don't want you to fall nor become a slave to this world. I know it`s a difficult thing to do, always and repeatedly say no to the pressures of this world. I`ve fallen myself, so I know it`s hard. Those pressures only get worse in college in unimaginable ways.

You will question who you are, your morals will get tested, and slowly your faith may begin to slowly fade away. It is very hard to resist these temptations, but it`s easier with a good friend by your side. I don't care what lies the devil feeds you - you are strong enough to resist! He`s only challenging you because of your faith!

Lastly, I want to apologize. I am sorry for everything I have done against you. Being your ex`s girlfriend, it`s fairly easy to dislike you, but it is also because of this relationship that we are now close. I am sorry for all the times I have gossiped about you, especially before we were even friends. I don`t wish to fall into these temptations, but I am far from perfect myself. However, that is hardly an excuse.

We all have our own cross to bear, so I pray that when college comes, you may remain strong and remember you are a beautiful daughter of God! Most importantly, that you not only say no to temptation in college, but you kick Satan in the ass.

We all have our own cross to bear, I pray you find the strength to bear yours.

Sincerely,

Your sister in Christ