Dear President Trump, Not Everything Is About Being The "Bigger Man"

Put what's best for the country before your reputation and masculinity.

22
Washington Monthly

Dear President Trump,

I'll admit, and most people who know me know that I did not vote, nor support you during the election process. However, I want to be clear in saying this absolutely does not mean I was hoping to see you fail as president; I really don't think anyone wants that. I truly HOPED I was going to be wrong about you after your election. But lately, I've been feeling like all of my reservations about your presidency are actually coming true.

Honestly, when I first heard you were running I completely thought it was a joke. Eventually, I had to accept that it was real and l started paying attention to your potential policies and plans for the country. I was angry and afraid, to say the least. During the campaign, your rash rhetoric, and tendency to make huge claims without sufficient details on HOW you planned to do these things is what concerned so many Americans. I was worried that constantly calling out other countries would cause conflict....and here we are today, and it is. I was also worried about that your proposed policies would take us backward in terms of environmental advancements and protection...and they are already starting to.

But I want to focus on the rash rhetoric and why it's so concerning today. For example, in a recent interview you expressed about your presidency, "I thought it would be easier."...I'm sorry, WHAT?! If you wanted an easy job or wanted to continue enjoying your luxurious life, maybe you should have thought just a little bit longer and harder about what it would take to run an entire country. You wonder why the media is always so quick to point these things out about you; well maybe it's because YOU SAY THEM. Yeah, I'm sure being the president is hard...I'm sure every leader in history has thought that. Keyword: thought. At a time when the world is not in a stable place, that is not something anyone wants to be hearing. It doesn't make anyone feel better, or confident about the hostile situations currently going on in the world. Obviously, you KNOW the media is going to tear you apart for statements like that, and instead of continuing to complain about it, maybe you should think twice...or maybe 10 times about how statements like that will stir up worry and controversy.

Sometimes, it seems like your trying to prove your masculinity through some of your rash rhetoric and tweets. My thoughts on that are that you don't need to try and prove this through threats, immediate decisions, and executive order use. I know you're trying to live up to some of those big claims you were making throughout your campaign, but honestly, a lot of us don't even want to see some of these claims come true anyway. Put what's best for the country before your reputation...it's time to put the big boy toys aside and think rationally.

What I really want to get to though is the nuclear war fear residing in people around the world right now. The rising tensions with North Korean leader Kim Jon Un are frightening, to say the least, and your threat tweets aren't helping. I'm not by any means validating or supporting any of his actions, but when so many other leaders around the globe are advising you to not take military action yet, and are warning both sides to not be impulsive, maybe you should take their advice seriously. It's vital that you remain level-headed during this, and truthfully, I have not seen that demonstrated very well so far. So consider the well-being of your "fellow Americans" that you're always saying you put first. Be peaceful, represent the diplomacy that the world is encouraging and don't let the macho-man image prevail over important decisions. I know being president isn't as "easy" as you thought....but please, don't make vital decisions in a mindset like that.

With all that said, just keep this in mind: Being president is bigger than your ego.