Dear President Trump, I Care About Jerusalem And You Should Too

A letter to the President who may have made it harder for me to ever see my favorite city again.

1076
Juliana Cosenza

Dear President Trump,

In the past couple of weeks, you have openly declared that the United States recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel-fulfilling the empty promises of past presidents before you such as Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama. You assure that your administration is doing everything in its power to move the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. While you may have just won the approval of Jews across the world, you may not realize the true repercussions of this. Setting aside foreign policy, your political agenda, and other motivations, Israel will become extremely difficult to visit.

I am writing this out of the deepest sincerity of my heart. I first saw the city of Jerusalem when I was seventeen years old, and since then, it has remained my favorite city in the world and a place I care very deeply about. I recognize Jerusalem for what it was, is, and always will be--the religious capital of the world. Never have I ever experienced such diversity, respect, and coexistence of the three most popular religions in the world all in one place. Despite the various controversy and unspeakable war that has existed for thousands of years, Jerusalem continues to stand stronger than ever and rightfully should.

I am not complaining about your announcement to the world. I think that recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital is the most unique way to respect its incredible coexistence and religious pluralism within the Middle East. I think Jerusalem is a place worth respecting, worth learning about, and even worth visiting. Here's where my problem comes into play.

I fear that the threats which have always been aimed at Jerusalem will intensify especially after this historical announcement, discouraging visitors, tourists, and birth right trips from ever witnessing Jerusalem's beauty.

In September of my first semester, I visited a Majors Fair, where I asked a representative from the Middle Eastern Studies Program what countries were available for study abroad programs. The lady immediately scoffed at me, "It's whatever the Trump administration says that our university follows in terms of countries we allow our students to travel to." She read off the names of the countries allowed by the government and under the recommendations of the United States State Department in less than thirty seconds. And I was quick to notice that Israel was not a country she mentioned.

I interrogated the woman, asking her if they sent students on programs in the Holy Land. She replied, "It just is not safe over there, especially what is currently going on". I seemed confused. "What was she talking about?", I thought to myself. I have been to Israel; I know what it is like there, and I almost felt like I had to assure this woman she was wrong. But I did not.

Mr. President, I worry that your statement will make it harder for students like me to ever see the walls of the Old City in Jerusalem ever again. My last memory in Israel is standing in front of the Western Wall on Shabbat, the Jewish holy day in which phones and other technology were prohibited from the holy site. It was the last time I stood in front of the two-thousand year old wall, and I was unable to even take a picture. At that time my trip chaperone whispered to me, "Look closely, and take a mental picture of what is in front of you in this very moment." I never forgot these words or the mental picture.

After leaving Jerusalem, I felt a part of my heart still within the Old City Walls. I felt a part of myself live and breathe for Jerusalem. I felt excited whenever Jerusalem was mentioned in the Bible, which was a lot, or mentioned on the news. I longed to be in Jerusalem again. A land that reeked of tension and animosity yet exists amidst the turmoil which has threatened its existence. Jerusalem stands strong because the people of Israel, Jews of the world, and others who have been there recognize its significance as the most religiously historical and meaningful place in the world. It is a place where the three monotheistic religions, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, conjoin and coexist with one another. It is a place where you can easily experience a different culture, food, or setting. Jerusalem is a place that changes your life, and anyone who has been there can attest to that.

So, what do I want? What's my point in writing this?

My point is that I hope it is never impossible for someone to visit Jerusalem. Despite its position and the complexity of the region, I hope it is never unsafe and visitors are never unwelcome to see for themselves the beauty it has to offer. I hope Israel is not shut off from the world ever just because other foreign nations make a statement on its behalf.

I want Israel to remain as it is: the only democracy within the Middle East that is open to all people of all ethnicities, races, sexual orientations, religious traditions, etc. to visit. And I hope Israel will always remain an option to change someone else's life, as it did to mine.