Dear Odyssey Creators, Let's Write Better Articles

I have been writing on the Odyssey since the beginning of this year, and I have enjoyed it so far. I really like being able to share my opinions and perspectives, and I also like reading about other people's views as well. One thing I really do NOT like see while scrolling through Facebook are the same overused articles over and over, yet I do anyway. Anyone who has liked or follows the Odyssey's Facebook or Instagram pages knows what I'm talking about. For example, I have seen too many articles of these: "A Day In the Life Of A College Student As Told By *character* from The Office." Oh, and these: "14 Signs You're A College Student." There are too many of these articles.

We should be coming up with more original content. For example, instead of writing on "An Open Letter To" your pet turtle, let's write something meaningful. If you want to be an astronaut, write about why you do, or who influenced you to want to do that. If you really enjoy reading (LIKE ME), compile a list of books that you got lost in. If you have a playlist you listen to for when you're in a good mood, turn that into an article. I feel that if we, as Odyssey Creators, write better articles, people would enjoy reading our articles more. Now that I have told you why we should write better articles, I am going to list some potential article ideas and topics so you (and I) can start writing some better content.

1. Write About Where You're From

Chances are, you live somewhere really cool, so write about it. You could write a list of your favorite places to eat in your town or city, or you could write a list of your favorite things to around town.

Not only could you write about your city, you could write about your background. Talk about how your mom moved here from Cuba when she was sixteen. Talk about how her being Cuban has affected or influenced your life.

2. The People In Your Life

If you have someone in your life that is literally a ray of sunshine--you know, the person who instantly makes you feel better once you see them--write about them. Write about your family, friends, roommate(s), and even your favorite celebrities.

3. Your Beliefs

You can write about the stuff you believe in. If you are a Christian, you can write about it. Share a list of some of your favorite bible verses. Write about your morals. Don't worrying about pleasing everyone, because you're not going to. Chances are, you'll get some criticism and hate comments--ignore them. Write the article for yourself.

4. Your Hobbies and Such

This is the best thing about the Odyssey platform in my opinion. You can write about your hobbies, your passions, and things you're talented at. If you really acting, write about it. If you want to be a famous ballet dancer, write about it. If you want to be teacher after your graduate college, write about it. Write about the stuff that is important to you.

5. Your Hardships

Everyone has gone through hardships. Write about them. Write about how they made you stronger. Write about how you've moved passed them.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but I got these main headings from the 2018 Content Creator Handbook. This is the kind of stuff we need to be writing about, instead of the same overused articles. I'm sure at one point those articles were fun to read, but now they're just boring. Like I stated before, we need to write better articles. I think if we put more effort and heart into our articles, we would have more readers. Anyway, I really hope you got something out of this article and will try to write better content.