Dear Mom and Dad

Dear Mom and Dad

Thank you for everything.

8
Dear Mom and Dad

Dear Mom and Dad,

When people say I remind them of you, I am flattered to know that even one person sees parts of you in me. I find it pretty empowering to be half superman, half supermom. I only hope I can have the slightest amount of strength, wisdom, and selflessness the both of you have.

I will never be able to fully understand the sacrifices you’ve made for me, but even when I begin to try, I am truly amazed by all you have given up or given in to get me to where I am today. Not enough thank you’s in the world could measure up to the amount of how much you deserve to be thanked. Thank you for everything. This includes, but is not limited to:

Packing my lunches for school.

Those surprise notes written on a napkin always made my day.

My clumsiness.

Ideally, I wouldn’t want to trip in front of a room full of people or drop whatever is in my hands on a regular basis BUT I have to admit, it keeps things interesting.

Being star softball parents.

I know, neither of you really like the title, but not many parents would necessarily sign up for the early morning road trips, sitting through 12-hour tournament days in the middle of a southern summer, or reminding me to put on sunscreen, only to be the ones putting aloe on my terrible jersey farmer’s “tan” when I didn’t listen. (I still think you’ll be able to see my jersey tan on my wedding day).

Listening to my stories.

You sat through all of them, even if I told the same one over and over again. Whether I was venting about an unfair grade, a funny story that you just “had to be there” to get, even all my crazy hopes and dreams for the future.

Giving me freedom.

You were never super strict but you definitely kept me in line. You allowed me to make my own choices and own up to the consequences when needed. You supported me when I had to make big decisions you didn’t always agree with, but trusted me to make. The freedom you gave me enabled me to find who I am, and I will always be grateful for the way you let me learn and grow.

Knowing how to fix me.

Sometimes I needed space, to lock myself in my room for a while, and you knew that. You know that a good hug somehow makes everything better, followed by a movie marathon….or even better, a Grey’s Anatomy marathon (with mom of course, because dad isn’t really all that interested in watching someone’s chest being cut open). And whenever I’m sick, I know I can be the worst patient to tend to, but you do it anyways.

Teaching me how to fix myself.

You have given me all the tools I need to get through life. While it is comforting to know that you will always be there for me, you have taught me the importance of being there for myself and to not be reliant. Thank you for that. This is how I have built my own self worth.

Being my best friends.

I know that you are my parent before my friend, but I’d like to think our relationship is the best of both worlds. You both are my rock, my world, and the best friends I could ever have.

Not everyone has this sort of relationship with their parents, and I consider myself beyond lucky and blessed that God chose the both of you as mine. I would be lost without you. I love you more than words can say; thank you for being the best parents in the world.

Love,

Your Little Girl