Dear Mom, If You're Listening...

Dear Mom, If You're Listening...

Nothing I ever say will fully express how I feel about you and our relationship — but here's a start.

115
Dear Mom, If You're Listening...
Anna Marie Horak

Dear Mom, If You’re Listening…

Thank you.

I don’t even know where to start. You’ve done so many things, not just for me, but for the rest of the family and even for my friends - yet so many of these things go unnoticed. I can’t think back on a time when you put yourself first. You are one of the most selfless people I have ever met. So thank you. Thank you for being the purest definition of a role model. You are someone that I strive to become more like every single day. The light of Christ constantly shines through you and you treat everybody the way you would like to be treated. Thank you for everything that you have ever done for me. The doctor’s appointments, the dances, the tears, the breakups, the tantrums; you’ve been with me through it all. For lack of better words... you’ve put up with a lot of crap. Thank you for giving me an education. I feel like this is something that most people overlook, at least most people in first-world countries. The opportunity that you and Dad have given me to attend college is something that I will certainly never be able to repay monetarily, let alone emotionally. Thank you for being my number one fan. You’ve been to all the musicals, all the choir concerts, all the banquets, and all the races…and even when I came in dead last you would still be cheering louder than the parents of the winner. I know I never said thank you at the time. In fact, I probably acted embarrassed - but your encouragement has always helped me to keep going. Thank you for constantly reassuring me that my best is all that I can do and all that is expected of me, and thank you for holding me accountable to that. Thank you for your unconditional love.

I’m Sorry.

For as many times as I wish I could say thank you, I also wish that I could apologize. I am sorry for all of the times I acted embarrassed to be around you or to have you call me "cupcake" in the car line. And I am sorry that even to this day I don’t acknowledge all the small things that you do for me. I never mean to hurt you, but I am selfish. I am sorry for that time I told you that I hated you in a nine-year-old fit of rage. I don’t know if you remember that, but I do. And lastly, I’m sorry that I ever let anybody come in front of our relationship. Many boys and friends come and go... but you’ve always been here.

You were right.

I’m sure that’s something you enjoy hearing. It kills me to say this, but my inner stubbornness can’t even deny that you have been right about so many things (which you told me I would realize at about this time in my life). I don’t even need to elaborate on this one... you were just right about everything, and you still are. Whether it is your gut-feeling on friends or how many minutes I should put that sweater in the dryer.

I love you.

I love you, Momma. Thanks for everything. But don’t worry, you aren’t done yet. I’ll call you with some kind of question tomorrow.