Dear Mom, There Are Things I've Never Told You

And things I don't say enough.

385

Dear Mom,

I don’t think you realize just how much you mean to me. I know I don’t tell you enough (as you know how I am with discussing feelings sometimes) how great of an impact you’ve had on my life. You’re not only my mother but my best friend. You’ve served as a shoulder to cry on, a warm hug on a crappy day and definitely a cheap therapist. And while you may have kept your ears open to listen to how my day went or about the one too many problems I’ve faced, here are a few things I never told you or don’t say enough:

I’m sorry for disregarding your advice in high school. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not perfect. I continuously thought I knew the weight of the decisions I was making, when in reality I was so blind. I almost always pushed back when you tried to steer me in the right direction, and I am sorry for putting up such a fight. You still like to remind me years later that “mom is always right” and all I can do now is nod in agreement.

I’ve lied. I wouldn’t dare do this now, as I learned this lesson the hard way too many times. I’m sorry for ever going behind your back, though. I should’ve known that you’ll always be understanding (and that you’ll find out anyway).

I’ve always hoped that one day I can be a mom like you. Let’s face it, you’re the cool mom. And I wouldn’t have it any other way! I hope that one day if I am blessed to have children of my own that I can also be their mother figure and go-to person. I know they probably won’t confide in me until they’re older or desperate, but a girl can hope. Again, I wish I had realized what kind of relationship was possible between us in my stubborn teenage years because now I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Mom, I know I don’t say it nearly enough, but I love you. I love you and I appreciate everything you have done to boost me up to where I am today. I know that has included some personal sacrifices, and I’m not sure that I’ll ever be able to repay that. However, I hope that when you look at me that you see some of yourself in me and that I’m making you proud.

Thank you for being you. Please don’t ever doubt yourself because you are the best mom a girl could ask for. I’m so glad that I get to call you my mom, my rock and my best friend.

Much love,

Your daughter