Dear Millennial Politics, Enough

Dear Millennial Politics, Enough

I've had enough of this silly blame game, step up to the plate.

11
Dear Millennial Politics, Enough
Mackenzie Boivin

Dear Millennial Politics,

Enough is enough. This seems to be the age of juveniles, because the more we can play who's at fault between Democrats and Republicans, the actual validity in politics lessens. I am a Democrat. Or as many Republicans would nickname me, a snowflake. I'm delicate and fragile, die my armpit hair pink, and only want free college and legalized weed. This, in no way, should be how millennial Democrats are viewed.

Millennial Republicans have been crying all over Odyssey with how they are no longer entitled to their own political opinions, and I think that is BS. You are generalized by your parents' old money, your easy life, and your privilege. For that, I am sorry. You are, in fact, allowed to have your opinions just like I am, but don't think that everyone in this world is going to agree with you. And that is where you have to learn.

I see Republicans tweeting out how the world is divided, but yet as soon as the D word is spoken, the shutdown and word twisting begins. I don't see why opinions can't be heard, and I don't see why some things can't be taken more seriously.

I feel that in the age where millennials can now vote, we have turned politics into a mockery. At first, the whole reality TV star businessman running for president was funny. But now, here we are, with a President with very little political knowledge in a very fragile world state. It might just be my Democratic brain speaking, but I wouldn't care so much if there was a Republican president, if he/she had some sound political history.

Why can't we be friends? Well, probably because everyone thinks their own entitlement to their own opinion reigns superior. I, in no way, would say I am stuck in my political party. Yes, I hold certain ideals and values I call my own that resemble the Democratic Party. Like, I am pro-choice, I am for helping those in need, and I believe that everyone should receive some form of healthcare or help to get healthcare.

To look at the flip side, I am not against guns. I do not think that the middle class should be the ones taking the hardest hit for taxes, and I do not believe minimum wage should be an insanely high amount. But, why do these certain opinions label me as something so disgraceful that you can't seem to get past it?

Really, I understand we do have our own beliefs. The only time I see the easy divide is when someone so blatantly backs something that could intentionally hurt you, your family, or things you love and care about. Some things I have heard from Republicans have been so hateful or scary that I just don't know how someone could have that type of mindset.

Now, don't get me wrong, both sides of the spectrum have some wild and unattainable thoughts. But maybe, for once, we stop generalizing the people in each party. If there were a candidate that shared a better picture than one from my party, I certainly would not look away from supporting them.

My closing thought is this: What if we just took things seriously? Stopped shaming each other like 12-year-old girls in middle school. No one likes a bully, and no one here should be the scapegoat. So millennial politics, what if we stepped up to the plate and tried to change things for a better future?

It's just a thought, but please, remember that everyone has an opinion. Everyone has their own story. Before you begin to judge them, think a moment about their circumstances and their mindset. The only way to be united is by understanding and accepting.

Love,

Millennial