Dear Me: This Summer You Will Be Loved

Dear Me: This Summer You Will Be Loved

How I'm focusing on me instead of us.

138
Dear Me: This Summer You Will Be Loved
Tumblr

I decided to be alone during the summer. By "alone" I mean without a romantic companion. My friends and family are still in my life and I actually want to be with them as much as possible. But a summer romance? No thank you.

We have all seen the movies about a girl who meets a guy during the summer. There is something that makes the romance impossible to happen, maybe an illness, social status or just the past. Then, something magic happens and the characters fall deeply in love. They realize they want to be together. They go to the boardwalk, the movies, the town’s carnival and they have the most amazing summer ever. What a beautiful thing. Deep down, we girls want something like that, a guy who will make our summer ten times better. A guy that will fill those long days with laughter and memories and who will be our companion no matter what. And yes, I am blaming you, Nicholas Sparks.

Every summer we think on how amazing it would be: romantically involved with someone, creating amazing memories and hoping that that person is THE ONE.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I would love an adventure like that. At the same time, I am neither waiting for it nor looking for one. I decided that this summer (and maybe a while after it) I’ll be flying solo. I'm not doing it out of bitterness or because I got my heart broken and don’t trust guys anymore.

I am doing it because I deserve to love myself again, to invest my time in doing what I truly like and maybe dislike. Hey, getting out of your comfort zone will take you places. I am freeing myself from romance so I can love my self so deeply, that I will have enough of it to love someone else.

I will exercise and lose my Freshman 15 because I want to be healthier and feel more comfortable, not for someone else to like me better. If I wear makeup, it will be to highlight what I already have, to love how I look, not for someone else to call me pretty. I will read books, write posts, and work towards my career because I know I can and I know I will achieve anything I want.

I want to be able to love myself enough to be strong, to eliminate those things that are hurting me: people, habits, thoughts.I will be single so I can grow as a person, as a writer, and as a student. Because being with someone on the rebound or to not feel lonely will only hurt you –and the person you are using--in the end.

It doesn’t mean I will say no to any opportunity and be morose about it; it means that the only love I am looking for at the moment is self-love.

I am doing it because in order to fully love someone else, you have to know that they are not filling in for something that you lost. As cliche as it sounds, you will find true love when you love yourself first.