Can You Pass The Test Immigrants Are Required To Take?
Politics

All permanent immigrants to the U.S. are required to take a citizenship test. Can you pass?

7

Dear Immigrants,

Growing up in the states, I'll admit I was extremely ignorant. Trying to talk to people who didn't learn English as their first language was extremely frustrating and I just didn't understand why everyone didn't just speak the same language. Fortunately for me, I also grew up in the 2000s, so my generation happens to be a lot more understanding of differences between us all and recognizing that in the end, we're all buried under the same soil.

I remember sitting in a class I took in high school called "Sweatshops, Lay-offs, Sneakers & You," where we learned all about the different economies in the world and how factory life differed in different parts of the world. I never really understood why America has such a high immigration rate until I was sitting in that class, watching a movie about how very young girls were separated from their families to go live in a tiny dorm room with some girls they had never met before, waking at the earliest hours of the day to try to meet a minimum quota of items produced, being punished for slow production or talking, and only getting to go home once or twice a year because their families just can't afford it. After all, her brother needed new school uniforms this year.

While I understand working for just pennies a day can be rough, trying to hide you and your family from gang violence is nearly impossible, and the government in most countries is simply inhumane, there are laws in the United States just like all major countries, and they need to be followed, or consequences will surely catch up to you.

The argument for most people that say we should not ban all immigrants from entering our country permanently is that the Civics Test is simply too hard, and even if you pass it, you will more than likely be waitlisted for an unknown period of time. Unfortunately, as of 2013, there were 4.3 million people on the waitlist to enter America or to receive their Visas. The waitlist could take up to 24 years to get through, and by then it may be too late. While there isn't anything I can do about the waitlist, I can certainly use my platform to make an online quiz where those who are lucky enough to take the test can study.

When taking the test in real life, they can ask any 10 of the 100 questions on the test.

Best of luck to everyone,

Adria

Take the test here.

Click "Flashcards"

Find "Options" in the lower left-hand corner

Change "Start with" from "Definition" to "Term"