Dear Graduating High School Seniors

Dear Graduating High School Seniors

You're almost there, so there's no need to rush!

35
Dear Graduating High School Seniors
Google images

Dear Graduating High School Seniors,

Graduation day is getting closer. I remember being in your place only a couple of years ago. You're excited, and you probably can't wait to graduate. Before you keep rambling on about how you can't wait to leave high school, I'm going to just say two words: slow down. You may not believe me when I say that a lot of what my high school friends and I do is just reminisce about our high schools days while still making new memories. As I sit here and think about my senior year in high school, I wanted to give you some advice on your last year, last week, and last couple of days before walking on that stage and getting your high school diploma.

Remember and live out every moment of your last few days as a high school senior because you will eventually miss all of it. Yes, you'll even miss walking down that overcrowded hallway, the homework that you thought was difficult and that teacher you thought was crazy. Remember all the familiar faces you walk by each day, and say hi. It may sound silly now because you've been at this school for four years and have been dying to get out, but when you're sitting in a different place, it'll hit you that you're not in high school anymore.

You're going to want to experience everything your high school has to offer. So whether it's to go to school events you haven't gone to before or to try out for that musical, the tennis team, the jazz band, anything -- just do it now. Right now, you may think that's so uncool, but think about the times you stood in the student section to cheer for your school because you were just proud to be part of that community. You may say, “my school is so lame”, but when you hear that the choir made it to states or that the marching band won states, you get a sense of pride for your school. If you join a new activity, you may even end up finding a new passion. You don't want to leave high school with any regrets of not doing something because you may not get that chance again.

Don't forget to thank your family, especially your parents. You may not think about thanking them for driving you to practice, making dinner for you, and attending your games and performances that they didn't have to attend, so this is the time to do that. It may not seem that your graduating year is hard on them, but trust me it is. Thank them, and tell them how much you love them because that may just be what they need as you graduate.

Don't take your close friends for granted. When you leave high school, your friends will most likely be in different places all over the world. Everybody in your friend group will be doing something different, and that's great! What's not so great is that you won't be able to see each other every day. Yes, you'll see each other when you can and create new memories out of high school, but it won't be as often as everyday. You may even lose friends after high school, but that's okay because you'll make new friends. You're not going to be with the same people since elementary school, so enjoy the moments you have with them now.

Overall, I would advise you to slow down. Take everything one day at a time and don't stress about the little things right now. You're going to wear that gown in a few days, walk across that stage, receive your diploma, and throw your cap in the air. But, before you do that, remember that whether you go to college or not, your last moments in high school are not going to last forever. Make the best of them and don't rush your last days of senior year. Although life after high school is fantastic, it won't be the same, and you can't really go back.

Sincerely,

Some College Student