Dear Best Friend, Upon Summer Commencing

There isn't any WiFi in the woods but we found a better connection.
8

We met at summer camp four years ago. We were only campers and now we both work there. When we met, I didn't expect us to come this far and become best friends; I didn't think you were going to become a part of my life. I thought that we were just going to be camp friends and that we weren't going to see or talk to each other all year and then when summer and camp comes, we will talk.

That's how it was when we met. We didn't talk throughout the year and then the second summer came and you were in my cabin again. This time it was different; we became closer friends. That summer I knew that we weren't just going to be camp friends but best friends.

After that summer, we actually talked during the year and we even hung out. We didn't hang out a lot, because we lived in two different cities and we went to two different schools, but we did text a lot.

Every time summer came, we got closer and we tried our best to maintain that relationship outside of camp. We didn't have to see each other every day to know that we had each other's back and we still do today.

This summer we're working together again and I honestly have to thank you for that.

I had been going to this camp since I was six and while I went there every summer, I have seen four different camp directors come and go. I left summer 2015 with a job offer at camp and then the camp director that offered me that job left. I had to get a job at the camp I'd been going to forever with a camp director that didn't know me, and I didn't get the job.

I thought that my life at camp was over. I wasn't going to volunteer there and I wasn't planning on trying to work there again. But you made me volunteer. Every day you asked me if I had emailed the camp director; you asked me so much that I did it so you would stop asking me. I ended up going to camp to volunteer for a week and ended up getting the job that I originally applied for and because of that, I'm happy to call you my best friend, because if you hadn't made me email the camp director, I probably wouldn't be working there this summer.

This summer is going to be one for the books. Even though we're going to be at camp, we can still go on adventures like when we go to Walmart. We can make each other friendship bracelets and walk around singing along to our favorite songs.

I can't wait to spend most of the summer with you laughing and doing crazy things that will make us look like fools and for the late night pow-wows, we're going to have. We're going to make a million memories to look back on, ten thousand inside jokes to laugh at later, and keep each other sane. We might not be sisters by blood, but we are sisters by heart and that's still something.