Dear Class of 2016: Trust Yourself

Dear Class of 2016: Trust Yourself

You will be a wonderful grown-up.

6
Dear Class of 2016: Trust Yourself
Emma Reiner

Dear Class of 2016,

First of all, congratulations! You have survived finals, the last week of high school, graduation, graduation parties and family parties, and now you are counting down the days until you are off to the school of your dreams.

Now, the next few months are going to bring a lot of changes. You are going to be leaving home, saying goodbye to friends and embarking on some of the best years of your life.

As you get ready to leave for school, and even when you first get to school, you are going to have a lot of people telling you what they think you should do in order to have "the best college experience." They are going to tell you what you need to bring for your dorm, how many hours you should take, which classes are the best -- the list goes on and on and on. The thing is, they are all right -- in their own way.

Here's the thing about the advice you are going to get over the next few month. Yes, people are trying to help you, and all the advice is (hopefully) coming from a place of love. They just want you to succeed and have the best possible experience at school. However, just because it worked best for them, doesn't necessarily mean it will work best for you.

Take, for example, a sweet sophomore who spent 20 minutes at a Welcome Week party trying to talk me out of taking my school's honors block classes. She explained to me how I would not get anything out of the classes, and they would be a waste of my time for the amount of work they took. If I had listened to her, I would have missed out on one of the things that made my first year of college the best. I would not have met my best friends or figured out my major.

At the end of the day, you need to be the one who figures out this whole college thing. Trust your gut.