Dear Car Commercials, Life Is More Than The Vehicle You Drive

We need to stop romanticizing motor vehicles via commercials, period.

180
Rowan Heuvel on Unsplash

I don't know which feeling I despise more: the intrigue I experience when watching a loving family stare at a beautiful mountain sunset in a commercial, or the disappointment I feel when I realize that the commercial I just watched was actually an advertisement for a motor vehicle.

I actuallyfrown when I realize that a car commercial has come across my TV screen.

The problem lies in the fact that every vehicle commercial ever produced in the history of mankind is riddled with deception, trickery, and subliminal tactics —all for the purposes of selling more product.

Let me walk you through the stereotypical plot progression of the modern vehicle commercial. The scene opens with a happy family, smitten couple, or adventurous individual — these people seem to clearly love live, value family and desire independence through rogue off-trail adventures in obscure locations.

Next, the commercial depicts the characters as they struggle through changes in previously-made plans or other hiccups in their journeys. Last, just as the characters are finding their way, the commercial boldly unveils the vehicle model and logo as a way of reinforcing the idea that the vehicle of choice is really the game-changer in making these individuals satisfied and successful.

Hold up — does the car you drive really affect your life journey, your happiness, or your success in life? No. Absolutely not. Never. Don't you just love the arrogance of these big-label car companies? As if the steering wheel I sit behind actually impacts my satisfaction in life. As if the vehicle I drive could actually play a significant role in my personal, monetary, or relational success.

Dear car commercials, if you think we need to drive a certain type of vehicle to make us valuable as people, then I feel incredibly bad for your perception of the human life.

Please check out the gif below, and pay special attention to the smile on the woman's face:

Now let me ask you a question about her smile: do you think she's smiling because she's driving the all-new [insert model year] [insert vehicle brand] [insert vehicle model]? I sincerely hope you said no because it is 100% ridiculous to presume that the vehicle a person rides in has any impact on them at all.

I may be a poor college student with no class to speak of, but I do acknowledge the value of expensive, shiny things. One of the perks of the American Dream is that hardworking individuals can afford nice cars after a few years of working and saving up.

But we need to stop pretending that a single car (in case you forgot, a car is an inanimate material item that will eventually break down) is worthy of our affection, love, and attention.

Family car rides are made beautiful by the memories exchanged between parents, siblings, cousins, and grandparents — not by the specific vehicle model shown. Vacations and road trips become adventurous because of the individuals who are exploring the world together — not because your truck just happens to have all-wheel-drive and a scratch-resistant bed. No motor vehicle could ever replace the value of the family time spent in that vehicle. Period. We need to stop romanticizing vehicles.

Dear car commercials, when you advertise a certain vehicle on TV, please stop suggesting that the vehicle will magically fix all human problems. Please stop tricking us by associating positive emotions, values, and feelings with the newest and shiniest SUV.

Please stop rattling off your list of the 300 "top achievement awards" that the vehicle has won in the past 12 months. Nobody cares. Genuine, hard working American people care more about family, friends, and life than they do about the type of vehicle they drive each day. And you should, too.