Dear America: I Am A Christian And I Oppose Muslim Ban

15
G Static

We know many of you are looking at us with shame and disappointment right now at the hate-filled climate which has come to dominate our politics.

Many of these dangerous policies are enacted by those who claim to be furthering the agenda of Christians.

There is something we need you to know.

We want you to know that we do not stand for this. We did not ask for this. And we do not support hate. Because that might be the way of politics, but that is not the way of our Jesus.

"I truly want people to know that the actions and beliefs of some do not represent all."

I am a Christian and I oppose Muslim ban.

"As a white skinned (Mexican decent) Christian, I cannot in any way support this. I know from speaking and trying to learn more about my own religion that Jews and Muslims worship the same God I do. We just call Him by different names.... We are no better than they are. I also firmly believe the words beneath Lady Liberty are words that helped shape this country and words that, as a country, we should live up to."

-Brandon P, 31

"Because it is an extremist, fear-driven order. It embarrasses me that this baseless action has somehow been linked to Christianity.

In Matthew 25, Jesus told his disciples that the their treatment of "the least" would be counted as their treatment of HIM. Would we strand Jesus in an airport? Would we yank his approval to enter our country and keep him in limbo for 120 days, requiring him to further prove his worthiness? If he showed up with a valid green card or visa would we detain or deport him?

I see no scriptural basis for Trump's reactionary, isolationist order, and implore fellow Christ followers to distance themselves from this poisonous message of cruelty."

-Cynthia D, 46

"Because it perpetuates racism, hatred, and Islamophobia. This is a pure hatred act. As Christians we are called to love

and help those in need, so I will never support an executive order that doesn't give people their sought-after refuge. America is supposed to be a non-discriminatory, open, welcoming country and our president is working against that. I will never stand for that and no Christian should. As a Christian I am called to love regardless of gender, race, or sexual identification/orientation. Our president might discriminate but I don't.

And I truly want people to know that the actions and beliefs of some do not represent all. While some Christians may defend this executive order, I do not believe that is biblical and I certainly do not support it."

-Grace L, 20

"Because I try to practice love- not hatred based upon fear and ignorance."

Sharon J, 50

"Would we strand Jesus in an airport?"

"Because as a Christian I think is is immoral. As an American, I think it is dangerous."

-Margaret Q, 56

"Christianity is a religion based upon love, but not necessarily on the idea of modern 'tolerance.' The Bible calls us to meet people where they are to show them Christ's love and acceptance......

In today's society, we are seeing a lot of hate, on both sides of the political spectrum..... Personally, I am a proponent of separation of church and state, which is why it hurts my heart to have the GOP continuously tied with being the 'Christian' party.

One, several of the current president's executive orders do not support the idea of opening the arms of Christ...

For those who claim to support the ban- that's fine. That's your right. But do not do it in the name of Christianity. To turn these people away who desperately need our help, is immoral- both in a religious and non-religious sense."

-Kelly T, 21

"Because I don't know how any Christian could think this is reflective of Jesus. Jesus says to love your neighbor as yourself. I do think about what if it was us and our kids fleeing America. Would we want another country to deny us?"

-Stephanie M, 23

"For those who claim to support the ban- that's your right. But do not do it in the name of Christianity."

"I cannot think of anything more un-Christian than a 'Christian' who won't show love because they are afraid. We all do it... it's normal to be afraid to get involved in helping out someone in need--whether it's a homeless person or a refugee--but I cannot fathom how anyone who has actually read the Bible could even remotely support such a blatantly anti-Christian policy.

Matthew 22:37-40 says that all of God's laws are summed up in loving God and loving people. We're reminded continually to not worry about ourselves and focus on love. Matthew 5:38-48 has all sorts of good stuff: turn the other cheek, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you. James 1:27 -- 'Pure religion..... before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction...' Even the Old Testament talks about caring for the aliens and foreigners (Leviticus 19:34, Deuteronomy 10:19).

I'd find it difficult to believe that anyone could find anything remotely scriptural to support rejection of refugees."

-Benjamin D, 48

"I see no scriptural basis for Trump's reactionary, isolationist order, and implore fellow Christ followers to distance themselves from this poisonous message of cruelty."

"Because the Christian faith is not based on hate."

-Jillian, 20

"Because the image of God rests on the human race. The rejection of the 'less fortunate' is fundamentally incongruent with the humble, hospitable, compassionate character of Christ. To cage another is to cage yourself in a much darker prison of narcissistic egotism. To reject a refugee is to reject the beauty of Christ. To reject the beauty of Christ is to reject joy. To reject joy is dumb as sh*t."

-Daniel L, 23

A special thank you to everyone who agreed to be interviewed for this article.