Dealing With Fear And Anxiety Of The Future

We do not walk alone.

27
Mary Lee Palmer Photography

Change can be a scary thing. As humans we fear the unknown, we fear things we do not understand, and we fear things that we have no control over. It is part of our nature. Sometimes thinking of the future can be terrifying. The idea that anything can happen in the future can be quite overwhelming. Growing up all of us have this idea of what we want our lives to look like. What we want our relationships with our family, friends, and God to look like. What we want our school year to consist of, our summer vacation to be like, our first car to be, what prom is gonna be like, and how it it going to feel to graduate. I can personally tell you nothing turned out the way I envisioned it growing up, and that pretty much is how life is. You can think out this perfect fairy tale, but it does not usually turn out how you expected it. And…insert cheesy line… that’s life. We may think we have control of it completely but we don’t.

I have always had a control problem. I like being in charge, making the decisions, and being the leader. From the time I was the little girl I always liked organizing events, clubs, and parties. I always wanted to come up with the ideas, and make things happen. As I grew up that desire to be in control lead to me having anxiety problems. I hated the feeling that I wasn’t in control of things and myself. So when it comes to me dealing with change I am right there with the people who are scared. I like familiarity. I like traditions and doing things the same way over and over again. I am scared of the unknown and not knowing what is ahead of me.

I leave for college a week from today. I am leaving home for the first time in my life. This is the place I grew up and became the person I am today. This is the room I’ve slept in since the day I was born. This is the family I spend every single day with. This is where my memories are. This is where my whole life has been. And now I am getting ready to leave. Hello can you say scary, and that I am…scared. And I am oh so anxious for what my future in Athens holds. But there is good news, I do not walk through this fear and anxiety alone, because God has got me.

God is in control of our lives. He has known his plan for us since before we were even born. Before we even took a breath of air God knew what he had planned for us. Isn’t that crazy? Know I am not going to lie, it isn’t like we just sit here and give complete control of our lives to God. Sometimes it seems like we only ask for his help when we need it. Instead we need to be willing to give it all to him. Give him the control. Because he has a plan.

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

One time at my Bible study group we talked about what our biggest struggle was on a daily basis. My answer was simple, yet it had so much more of a deeper meaning. I have a hard time giving God the control of my life I said. And my amazing Younglife leader Becca responded with something along the lines of, “you need to give God the reins”. You cant play push and pull with God, you need to let him guide you. Let him take the lead on the dance floor of your life. It can be hard, but it is so rewarding. I have a verse that I painted on a wooden board hanging above my mirror. It is Isaiah 14:27. “Nothing can stop God’s plan for your life”. I look at this verse every day when I’m getting ready and it is such a nice reminder that God has got me. He has his plan for me and nothing can stop it. But that does not always mean it is easy.

The anxiety is still there. The fear is sometimes still there. We are human it is okay to be afraid sometimes. But we can find hope in the fact that God wants us to cast our anxieties on him. 1 Peter 5:7 says “ Cast all your anxieties upon Him, because He cares for you.” God wants to take our troubles away, he wants us to not be afraid.

I know that everyone is living a life where they have their own troubles. Everyone has their own problems, and insecurities, and sadness. Everybody has their own fears and anxieties. God knows this. He knows everything about you and me. He has a plan for every one of us and we do not need to fear. So as I sit here one week prior to officially leaving the nest I find peace. I find a sense of assurance that everything is going to be okay. That there is so many new and exciting things headed my way. There is a whole new chapter of my life that it is time to begin. I will not fear the future, because I do not walk alone.

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9