8 Things To Expect When Your Boyfriend Is Significantly Older

8 Things To Expect When You're Dating Someone Who's Significantly Older Than You

Age really is just a number in this case.

748
Lexi Schroeder

Relationships that involve somewhat of a big age gap can be quite the conversation for people... especially between family and friends. My boyfriend and I happen to be nine years apart, but does that bother us? Obviously not since we're together. As stated above, age really is just a number when you're at this point in your life.

I've already noticed drastic (but good) changes in my relationship with an older guy compared to my last couple of relationships with boys closer to my age. Here's what to expect if you stumble upon someone a bit older than you.

Sometimes you will feel the age gap.

I'm 20 and he's 29... I had to teach him what "low key" meant and he had to explain to me what "MTV Cribs" was.

He knows what he wants.

I'd say I'm quite mature for my age. I'm very ambitious and have a good idea of what I want in life. I admire that my boyfriend is mature and looking for something real. Because being a girl in college, you do experience a lot of "fun times" more than "real times."

He knows what to say.

As I stated before, my boyfriend already did all his schooling and has been out in the real world for a while now. He totally understands what I'm going through right now in life with school and work and knows exactly how to handle my stress. Funny thing is, I'm going to school for exactly what he went for.

He knows your value.

It's crazy that we've been officially together for only a month (but have known each other a lot longer than that), and he treats me like a queen. He's always down to go on dates, do fun stuff, or watch sports with me. Of course, I know all relationships are "picture perfect" in the beginning, but this one is different.

All. The. Jokes.

I'm guilty of this. I make jokes all the time with him about our age gap like he could be my dad or I'll say things like, "you were 20 when the Packers won the Super Bowl and I was 11." (I know that sounds bad at the time). All my friends and family like him, so I think it's OK to get away with the jokes then.

His maturity. 

This can go both ways. When we're alone together, sometimes I feel like the older one because he's nagging me or doing something that's immature. But when he's meeting my friends or family, he's very polite and friendly... he sure puts on a show.

He wants to see you.

I've noticed in my past relationships that most guys my age would rather hang out with their guy friends than their girlfriend (there's really nothing wrong with that), but when you're the girlfriend and the only one that's making the plans, it can get annoying. My boyfriend will always check-in and attempt to make plans with me, which I appreciate a lot more than he knows. It makes me feel wanted.

Most men age like wine.

My boyfriend is the type of guy who defintley keeps getting more attractive with age. When we were looking back at his pictures, he changed drastically within a few years... in a really good way.

So seriously, dating older men... don't knock it until you try it.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.