What Is Dogfishing Or Dogfish Dating?

Everything Gen Z Needs To Know About Dogfishing In 2020

In the dating world, dogfishing is considered especially heinous.

89

What Is Dogfishing?

In the dating world, dogfishing is considered especially heinous — and by that I mean heartbreaking. Because there are few things more disappointing than matching with a guy who is not only your type but also has the cutest little golden retriever puppy... or so you think.

You like his photo, you get to chatting, you ask about the fluffy friend, and BAM! He breaks your heart for the first time by telling you that was some stranger's dog he held one time or his friend's from another state.

You, my friend, have been dogfished, which is just as offensive as being catfished if you ask me. According to Urban Dictionary, dogfishing is "putting pictures on a dating website of you and a cute dog, (that is not yours) to attract the attention of [a match]. It's like catfishing but with dogs."

I know, it's devastating.

Why Is Dogfishing Bad?

*Insert Angelina saying "Um, HELLO!?" on "Jersey Shore"* The shorter question to answer would be "why isn't dogfishing bad?"

This kind of deceit should not be taken lightly, folks. I'm serious. Never have I ever been on a successful date with someone who later told me the dog on their profile wasn't their own. Why? Because, quite frankly, I swipe right for the cute dog and stay if you're cool.

If we matched on the false pretense of you having a dog and you don't, well we're already starting this relationship off on a line and that's a hard no from me. Sorry!

How To Avoid Getting Dogfished — Or Dogfishing

The rules are simple, don't include a dog on your profile that isn't yours — it's a trap and a total let down when you have to tell them it isn't even your pup. On the other side of things, if you see a match has a picture of a dog, use that as the conversation starter... You have to know right from the start whether you could potentially become a dog mom or dad, so just ask them and skip the shenanigans.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.