What It's Like When You Find Your Soulmate In College

25 Things That Happen When You Date Someone You Can See Yourself Spending Forever With

Every time you hang out with them, you fall in love with them all over again.

478
Nick Preite

Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to get married and have a family of my own. I know that probably sounds weird. Even throughout high school and college, that aspiration stuck with me. But it isn't until recently that I found someone (my boyfriend Nick) who is going to make all of that possible for me. Not all relationships end up transforming into something super serious and long-term. But for the ones that do, here are some things you know to be true.

1. When you're away from them, it feels like a part of you is missing

This is usually when people say that you should feel like you're a whole person. But I think whoever says that has never met their soulmate. Because when you're madly in love with someone, there's nothing more painful than saying goodbye to them.

2. You may or may not resort to ridiculous nicknames

Food is super yummy and your boo is yummy so they might get called "pumpkin" or "cupcake." Sometimes sounds that aren't even real words become nicknames.

3. You end up using their phrases

The phrases "bet" and "I could eat" never came out of my mouth once until I started dating Nick.

4. No gift that you give them ever feels like enough

I WANT TO GIVE YOU THE WORLD AND A CARD OR A SCRAPBOOK OR A JAR OF WHATEVER WILL NOT SUFFICE!

5. Their clothes become your clothes

Is it just me, or are men's shirts so much more comfortable than women's shirts?

6. Simple things like watching movies on the couch and playing video games are now dates

Playing video games is a date. Eating food is a date. Going for a walk is a date. Siting and talking is a date. Anything with him is automatically cooler and more fun.

7. Your taste in music expands

Shout out to Nick for getting me into Lauv, Shawn Mendes, and Sam Smith. I usually only stick to alternative rock.

8. It's hard to sleep without them

Being warm, comfy, and wrapped up in my boyfriend's arms >>> sleeping alone

9. Every time you hang out with them, you fall in love with them all over again

I still get a little nervous before I see him. I still get butterflies when I kiss him. Whenever we spend time together, I feel like I'm rediscovering him. There's always more to learn. And there's no limit for the amount of love you can feel for one person.

10. You begin to plan your future around them

We're going to live together, get married, have kids, and live happily ever after.

11. They're the first person you think about when something goes wrong

When someone annoys me, I text Nick. When I want to rant, I know I can always call him. And when I'm having a bad day, I just want to be in his arms.

12. But they're also the first person you talk to when something goes right

I love knowing that my boyfriend is proud of me and that he's happy I'm succeeding.

13. You'd rather hang out with them over everyone else

No offense. But he's my best friend and my boyfriend. How much better can it get than that?

14. When they're upset, you're upset. When they're happy, you're happy

We're like magnets. Where he goes, I go. What he feels, I feel.

15. One of your biggest fears is losing them

I just can't live without him.

16. You stare at them. A lot.

Did it the first time we hung out and I'm still doing 6-7 months later because he's ridiculously beautiful and I can't take my eyes off of him.

17. You have to find ways to entertain yourself when they're not with you

Editing, writing, drawing, messaging other people.

18. You develop mother-like qualities

Washing their clothes, fixing their hair, asking if they've eaten yet, picking off fuzzies from their clothes, tending to cuts or bruises, feeding them, making sure they wear sunscreen.

19. You go to them for advice

No one knows me better than he does. Plus, he always has my best interests in mind, and always keeps it real with me.

20. You can study and do homework around them

I don't know about you, but I get easily distracted. I can't normally do homework around another people because I just want to talk to them. But Nick and I can get serious and get things done. It's way better than studying alone. I enjoy his presence.

21. They motivate you and inspire you to be a better person

He's my role model. I want to be more like him. I think it's amazing how he can always juggle multiple things at once, and never really seem that stressed. He has great time management. He's responsible. He's unbelievably talented. The list goes on and on.

22. A good morning text from them starts your day off right

Whenever I wake up to a text from Nick, I smile so hard. There's something about being in love that just makes you so much more passionate in your everyday tasks, and hopeful about the future.

23. They can never be too affectionate or "clingy"

Nope, never! I love knowing how much he cares about me. I'm a person that needs a lot of reassurance, and he's never been afraid to give that to me.

SEE ALSO: 5 Things Loving Girlfriends Do That Mistakenly Are Labeled As 'Clingy'

24. Sometimes you put a little too much pressure on yourself to be the perfect S.O.

Definitely an issue sometimes. When you're dating someone that you're so in love with, you want to be the best for them. Making a mistake feels like you're failing them. But I know that he loves me for who I am, flaws and all.

25. A hug, kiss, or phone call from them can instantly calm you down

There are already so many things to have anxiety over, but your S.O. shouldn't be one of them. Sometimes I just need to hear his voice to know that I'm going to be okay.