What It's Really Like Dating As A Millennial

"We met on Tinder."
16

I was that girl who had the strict parents. You know the ones. Curfew by 10 p.m. and interrogating your friends. I wasn’t allowed to date until I was eighteen and out of the house. Now that didn’t mean I couldn’t window shop or talk to guys who I thought were cute. If only I’d known what dating would be like once I was older.

Being a 90s baby puts you in the category of “The Millennials”- young adults in the post millennium era growing up during the rise of social media in simpler terms. Our main form of communication is through phones, direct messages, and social media. Let’s look at the facts.

Guys care about what they see online to match on the first date. People do “Netflix and Chill” rather than going on an actual date. Then there’s the “talking stage” where you’re getting to know each other but you aren’t official. But then people get the wrong impression when a new person pops up on your Instagram feed after two months of seeing somebody else.

Then you’re official. Well according to the change of relationship status. Most people find their current boyfriends or girlfriends on Tinder. Then there’s surviving the relationship. Long distance, jealousy, and emotional roller coaster.

What happened to those meet cute moments where you bump into a guy in line getting coffee or walking your dog. What happened to actual dates where you had a conversation over dinner like Applebee’s? Getting a girl a couple of flowers just because you wanted to. Being real with people. It’s not like we’re looking for a proposal. We just want to be courted in some sort of way.

Dating in 2017 is a whole lot different than what it was 20 years ago.