5 Dating Horror Stories To Make You Feel A Little Bit Better About Your Love Life

Number four is just plain cruel!

516

The holiday season is approaching, and often times, showing up to family get-togethers "dateless" can be quite depressing. Your old friends from high school are posting pumpkin carving pictures with their sweethearts, romantic kissy pictures under the mistletoe, and even GETTING ENGAGED TO WED AT NINETEEN. It seems as though everyone around you has already found their special someone, but that's the catch...social media is only the "highlight reel" of relationships. The uncomfortable first dates are hardly tweeted about, the 2 a.m. fights and disagreements won't show up in a Snapchat story, and the devastating heartbreak is off limits to a picture-perfect Instagram feed. Over the past week, I've had the pleasure of interviewing individuals about some of the worst, breakup-inducing moments in their past. Some of their responses were amusing, some were disgusting, and many were cringe-worthy, but they are all worth the read. Take a look!

1. A bad case of the dumps

"I dated a kid during my freshman year of college who would constantly convince himself that he was terminally ill. Once, he had a migraine after attending a rock concert and was certain he had a brain tumor. He made me call his parents in Colorado, take him to the ER, and contact his professors about his absences, all to discover that it was just a headache. A few months later, he found a bump on his thigh which, according to him, "was a textbook definition of what melanoma looked like". After an urgent trip to the doctor's office, he was told it was just a spider bite that would disappear within a few days. Yeah, following a few more instances like this, I couldn't take the drama any longer, so I ended things."

- Anna, 22

2. What's mine is not yours

"Early into our relationship, I'd noticed that a few of my sweatshirts and boxers were missing from my closet. Since I live with two other guys in my apartment, I just assumed that some of my clothing would mix with theirs while doing laundry. I then began to notice that my brand new headphones were nowhere to be found, and a lot of my kitchenware had been taken from our cabinets. Later, I discovered that my girlfriend of four months was not only stealing my personal belongings, but re-selling them on eBay for profit. Needless to say, I never got my stuff back, but I did completely cut any ties between the two of us."

- Patrick, 26

3. Cheating on the test

"I went on a date with this dude I met through an online dating app. When we first met at a coffee shop, he had printed out a copy of my Tinder profile and was using it as a reference during our conversations! Like WTF???"

- Alyssa, 18

4. Happily never after

"Over the summer, I took my then-girlfriend to see the new romance film, "Crazy Rich Asians," for our 5 month anniversary. We walked up to the window to purchase our tickets and noticed that her ex-boyfriend was the one working behind the counter. It was a bit awkward at first, but we paid and went into the theatre anyways. About a quarter of the way through the movie, she got up to go refill the popcorn. I waited 25 minutes for her to return before I walked to the concessions stand to see if she was okay, where to my surprise, there was no sign of her anywhere. Then, an employee had kindly informed me that her ex had ended his shift a little while ago. It didn't take me long to put the pieces together."

- Chandler, 19

5. Stalker alert

"I don't even want to categorize this as a date, but for the sake of telling this story, I will. One of my coworkers had set me up with her boyfriend's cousin because we had both been single for a little over a year, and at the time, seemed like a good match. We went on our first lunch date at Chick-Fil-A (I know, how romantic), and then he drove me home. When I stepped out of the car, he handed me a bouquet of flowers... it seemed very strange at first, but I thought maybe he was just being a gentleman. Boy, was I wrong. I agreed to a second date to go bowling with some of his buddies, and he arrived at my door with a Pandora necklace. Awkward. Then, he came to my apartment over the weekend (uninvited) and pronounced his undying love for me saying, 'You're the one I want to be with forever' - mind you, we had just met like two weeks ago. So, I did what any freaked out girl would do: I blocked his number, bought some pepper spray, and haven't spoken to my coworker since!"

- D'nae, 21