7 Truths Of Dating A Pre-Health Student

7 Truths Of Dating A Pre-Health Student

Did you watch "Grey's" together?

Dating in college is a hassle. Either your schedules never seem to match up for going out or one of you is swamped with work. Regardless, dating for anyone in college can be overwhelming, but dating someone in a pre-health major is ridiculous. These majors include (but are not limited to) nursing, pre-med, athletic training, chemistry, biology, organics, etc. The list is long and exhausting; however, it's also one of the most rewarding. Basically, I work my butt off just so I can save yours one day. That's epic.

Here are some signs or perhaps things to keep in mind when trying to get involved with anyone in a pre-health major:

1. The Scheduling

I admit I have struggled with this before. Trying to pencil someone in to see them because you have classes from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. most days, shadowing/internships on the other days, and work on the weekends is difficult. Trying to see someone in college is normally pretty easy, but not for pre-health majors. Most of our time is dedicated to school or work and if we aren't doing one or the other, we're probably taking a quick 20-minute nap before it's back to the drawing board.

2. Party Animals Won't Survive

I remember last semester believing I could handle going out and not getting home until 3 or 4 a.m. and having an exam at 9 a.m. afterward. It's safe to say I could've done better in my classes with altering which nights I went out. If you can't handle that the person you're dating goes to bed when the sun sets, you won't survive in this type of relationship. Pre-health majors typically try to make it to bed as early as possible (if the studying and homework are complete) as they wake up before the sun rises.

3. Studying > Anything

Studying comes before all, including you. While you want to be the one your significant other spends most of their time with, you won't be. Surely we'd love nothing more than to watch TV or go bowling with some friends, but that isn't always possible. Acceptance into graduate schools is highly based on our grades and clinical practice. Don't be upset when the majority of their time would rather be spent watching over the sick or injured.

4. Don't Touch The Planner

It's the most sacred book possible to anyone in a pre-health major. Don't touch it. Don't even look at it. I keep a planner with me everywhere I go, including the one in my phone as well as my notebook. Staying organized and on top of dates and deadlines is how we survive in these majors. This book means more than you know and you don't want to see what would happen if we were to lose it. Don't fuss at your significant other when they panic as they think they've lost their entire world.

5. You're There For Practice

You're the toy we get to poke with fake needles or stethoscopes. When they ask to listen to your heart rate or monitor your blood pressure, don't be skeptical. While dating someone in the health professions, it's no shock that you will be used as their test dummy.

6. You Are Not The Sun

Their life will not revolve around you. Do not ask them to choose between you and school, as their major will win. Every. Single. Time. But this in no way means they should ignore your dreams and aspirations. You both are in a relationship to help one another prosper. You're the backbone for when they need a sturdy wall to perch on.

7. Be The Cheerleader

Support them. Encourage them. While we are out there getting our rumps handed to us on a silver platter because we can't spot the difference between the left and right humerus, we need your help. As you hype us up, we'll do the same. Relationships that prosper together, win together. You don't give up on them when it gets tough, you push them closer to their goals.

So enjoy the time you have together, even if it just involves you both passed out trying to get a quick cat nap in. Dating in college is no joke. It's a true commitment to want to see that person and make time for them. Don't be upset that they haven't answered your text in the past couple hours--they're probably studying or in class. Though it may seem ridiculous that your dates are sometimes heading to Stroz together to get some homework done or a late night coffee run when you both need to wake up, it's the thought that counts. It's the little things in these relationships that mean everything.