Intro To Dating In College ft "Love"

Intro To Dating In College ft "Love"

A short sort of vague but meaningful blurb about dating in college (part 1)

203
Intro To Dating In College ft "Love"
Flickr

“There are some people who would never have fallen in love if they had not heard there was such a thing.”

― François de La Rochefoucauld

College is a time to experience. Experience everything - well not everything. But there are tons of new things to do and try out. It's a time to learn about yourself and grow. Sometimes that growth also involves other people and relationships; friendships, professional relationships and romantic relationships as well.

You should date in college, there are new people and it's not like high school. There are certain similarities but there are levels now. This isn't high school anymore where your relationship made you a celebrity in the hallways and the talk of 4th period. Sure, somethings might be the same, like the childlike excitement when you talk to your friends about the potential of something (that never changes) and we're all in that transitioning phase that's in between teenage years and official adulthood.

But, at least to some extent, people have matured to some degree. Some things will be more serious than others, this includes the various relationship(s) you can potentially have in college.

The dating experience is good, great even. Not only do you learn about other people you care about or want to get to know more (amongst other things), more importantly, you learn A LOT about yourself. You learn more about who you are, by experience other people who want to get to know you on an intimate level. You understand more about yourself in terms of what you like, do like, are willing to handle, what you're not willing to handle and overall what you want, and sometimes (even though it might be a bitter realization) what you need or don't need in your life.

It's also one of those / a series of those things that you appreciate even if it wasn't all the great in the moment after the experience. Things that happen in life teach us lessons regardless of whether it was amazing or not. It also gives us a certain level of wisdom and better understanding. Dating (or whatever you want to do really) is fun, it's nice to have someone who you're attracted to reciprocate feelings and interest. Of course, like most things it may not (and in college odds are it won't) last forever. Just understand when it ends that maybe it's for the best.

Keep in mind that in college, you aren't the only person finding themselves. Everyone is in at least one aspect or another experiencing personal growth and understanding who they are and who they want to become.

That being said, sometimes people might think they're ready for something and realize later on that they aren't. It's alright, yes it sucks majorly and it'll hurt if you've gotten attached and invested time. But you'll be fine and even though it may take a while to realize or believe it, it's not your fault.

People enter our lives and sometimes they aren't always meant to stay. In that same breath, it's also true that some people serve a purpose or are great only for certain periods in our lives and as we grow and they also grow, they are no longer truly meant to stay along for the ride. That's okay too and in time it'll be okay too.

I'm not saying don't fall in love in college or trying to deter you from it. If anything, it's good to go through it all now and learn from it. But, also understand that things aren't set in stone here, and things do change. I'm not saying not to get attached, but to understand that people grow apart especially now when people still have a lot of growing up to do.

Don't be afraid of falling in love in college, but it's alright if you don't and it's okay if you feel like you lost it too.

You'll regain it along the way, and most often it's not even in someone new,

it's in yourself that you regain the love you thought you lost.