8 of The Most Dangerous College Jobs

The 10 Most Dangerous College Jobs

If you're trying to earn extra income while in school, you may want to think twice about picking up a job in one of these fields.

149
The 10 Most Dangerous College Jobs

Getting an education is an accomplishment you should be proud of, but the work that goes into it isn't cheap. Many students take part-time jobs while going to school to pay for expenses like tuition and textbooks. Without your degree, however, you may not have many options available for stable employment.

This lack of choices leads students to accept opportunities they usually wouldn't — some more harmful than others. Earning money is often a top-five goal for scholars, but there are some dangerous college jobs you should avoid.

1. Logging

Logging has become more sophisticated than it was in decades past, but even with technological advancements, it's still the most dangerous profession. Working with machines like chainsaws and woodchippers puts workers at risk for injury or death.

Equipment can roll down hills, as many loggers operate on steep grades. The most common cause of death on this job occurs from falling trees. You may think a tree will fall one way, but factors like wind or inaccurate judgment will prove you wrong.

Loose logs also cause significant damage when they slide off the loading equipment and hit workers. Many logging sites are remote and not near any available hospitals, which increases the chance of death from injuries sustained.

2. Warehouse Work

Working in a warehouse means you'll be moving bulky goods or operating machinery for most of the day. This heavy lifting takes its toll on your body, leading to overexertion and muscle injuries. The loading dock is a hotspot for warehouse injuries, accounting for 25% of all mishaps. Workers can get struck by trucks or crushed between vehicles and equipment while loading goods.

Although some warehouse workers leave their jobs after sustaining severe injuries, they still have to deal with the echoes of chronic pain. Bodily damage slashes your range of movement and ability in half, so consider the repercussions of taking a warehouse job.

3. Roofing

Getting a new roof put on your house is more dangerous than you'd think — but mostly for the roofers who do it. These workers suffer injuries from falling off the roof or into open holes the homeowners have covered up. Roofers keep all the tools they need at hand, which means they can trip over stray equipment if they aren't careful. Loose or curved shingles can also cause them to trip and fall off.

Working for long hours tires your eyes and messes with your depth perception, resulting in a loss of edge awareness. One-third of roof injuries prove to be fatal.

4. Garbage Collection

Refuse collectors expose themselves to countless types of garbage every day, and a good portion of it is hazardous. Though there are regulations on how citizens should dispose of trash, people don't always follow them.

This carelessness means needles, broken glass and other sharp objects end up in garbage bags. Chemical and biological hazards are also a significant concern. Exposure to these substances can cause poisoning, infection or respiratory damage.

Collectors must stay vigilant about their surroundings due to rats and raccoons searching for food. They're also at risk for being struck by motorists or colliding with other vehicles while driving. When operating such a large truck, garbage collectors need to pay close attention to their mirrors and blind spots.

5. Construction

According to OSHA statistics, one in five worker deaths in 2017 was in construction. Doing this job puts you in the way of mishaps like collapses, explosions and electrocution.

Construction workers have to climb tall scaffolding and high ladders — falls from such heights produce severe injury. The high-powered machinery they use can lead to hearing loss after repeated exposure, and respiratory damage can develop from breathing in airborne materials.

Construction laborers can also develop various skin diseases from the chemicals they work with.

6. Delivery Work

Delivery is no walk in the park. Students commonly choose this work, but believe it or not, this occupation also falls in the category of dangerous college jobs.

Customers or other strangers within the area often attack deliverers after they pull up to a location. At least 20 drivers suffered assault in 2014, and many of these were armed robberies. Numerous delivery people carry weapons for protection, but it's tough to protect against the dangers of driving. Fatal car accidents occur at a rate of 40,000 a year.

Truck drivers travel long distances with only a few hours of sleep, which creates the possibility of falling asleep at the wheel. They must remain observant of other motorists due to the size of the vehicles they operate. Trucks have much larger blind spots than cars, and drivers can endanger lives by not watching the road.

7. Groundskeeping

Groundskeeping seems like a reasonably safe job, but it comes with unique dangers. These laborers work with a lot of heavy machinery and equipment such as chainsaws and mowers. Sometimes companies hire them to work on roadsides or grassy medians, which increases the chance of pedestrian accidents.

They often work in high and low temperatures and fall ill with heatstroke or pneumonia. Lawn care includes deterring pests, which involves the use of harmful insecticides.

Preventing injury on this job is mostly about using common sense and following safety procedures. Keep sensitive areas of your body covered and wear a mask when spraying chemicals.

8. Structural Iron Working

This occupation proves dangerous because of the falling risk, which becomes more prominent on surfaces slick from rain or snow. Workers have to use metal shears to cut through iron, which can take off a hand or limb if mishandled. Iron welding produces immense heat and vapor that can cause fires in the presence of flammable materials — plus the sparks can fly into your eyes.

These workers are also at risk for muscle strain and joint damage from lifting heavy poles and bars.

Paying for school is a priority, but keeping yourself healthy and safe takes precedence. Don't put yourself in harm's way over tuition bills or college costs.

It's better to take a break from school to save up money rather than turn to dangerous college jobs for quick cash.