How "Dancing With The Stars" Can Make Or Break A Celebrity's Reputation

The hit reality show can make some celebrities even more famous or it can shatter their reputation.

11
Just Jared

Whether you enjoy reality television shows or not, you cannot argue about the fact that they can change the lives of the people on the shows. Reality shows can even change the way people perceive the contestants featured on these programs. "Dancing With the Stars" is one of those reality shows that can greatly alter the public's perception of them. Although many celebrities and athletes who have competed on the show over the years have not been huge superstars, this year's season will be following the 2016 Summer Olympics. This means that high profile and controversial athletes like Laurie Hernandez and Ryan Lochte will be competing for the coveted Mirrorball trophy. However, even though all of the contestants will be on a level playing field in the competition, the public opinion and reputation of each cast member could be changed dramatically by being on the show.

Ryan Lochte is one of those public figures who used to be adored by many. After winning many medals at previous Olympics, Americans liked Ryan and were proud of him. Now, many people are angered by his confusing robbery claim that he made while he was in Rio de Janeiro for this year's Olympics. Ryan failed to tell some aspects of his story when he talked to the media and exaggerated other parts of it. Now that the dust has settled a little, it has been announced that he will be joining this season's cast of "Dancing With the Stars" this Fall. Being on this show could greatly improve the public's opinion of him or it could make people dislike him even more. If Ryan is genuine, supportive of his cast mates, and tries his best in the competition, then he could gain a lot of support back from viewers. This is a golden opportunity for Ryan because he has already apologized for this actions and now he can show the world who he really is. Since he lost almost all of his sponsorships, this is a great chance for him to redeem himself and earn some money. He has one chance to prove to everyone that he is worthy of a second chance. If he loses his temper or makes another juvenile mistake, then Ryan may never get Americans back on his side again. He can also kiss any remaining or new sponsors goodbye for good this time. It is crazy to think that a seemingly unimportant reality television show has the potential to change someone's life so drastically. Then again, that is just what life is like in today 2016. If anyone can make a comeback, Ryan could be the one to do it. He has achieved Olympic glory and was beloved by Americans before. Now, he can hopefully get some of that support back.