If You Are A Girl And Your Dad Is Coach, This Was Your Childhood

To say my life has revolved around sports is an understatement.
690

A daughter's first love is her father, but when her father is a coach the love of the game comes second. My Father has been a football coach for 26 years and in his 17th year as a head football coach. After all that time, my love for the game has never ceased. His love for me has never ceased either.

When I was little I used to be compared to the daughter from Remember the Titans, and as I grow older I'm still her just more grown up. The love for my father follows him through losing and winning season. When I was first born he coached basketball as well. As I got older he gave up basketball for baseball, and as I got older I became involved in sports.

To say my life has revolved around sports is an understatement. In my house, there are no cartoons on in the living room. It's whatever is on ESPN that night.

Sunday, Monday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night football is on and on at least two of the five TVs in the house. Friday nights are long being that is his job and Friday nights in Alabama is when high school football games are played.

All day the anticipation builds, no, correction, all week the anticipation builds.

As his daughter I want everyone to succeed whether we grow as a team, execute the plays right, or just win. Winning comes differently when you are on the inside. Being the coach's kid you're always on the inside and so you know the small victories are those that others do not see when the game is lost. Being the coach's kid you stand behind him and love him no matter what.

The role is reversed being the coach means you are not there for big things in your daughter's life such as certain As achieved on tests, but you are there the day she walks across the stage to receive her diploma from high school.

You are there for her when she strikes out the third batter in the bottom of the seventh with bases loaded to win the number one slot in the area tournament. You are also there for her when she's up all night stressing about her grades.

However it means there are many nights you have missed eating dinner, talking about the day, or seeing the outfit she wore to school, but you are there for the big things in life.

Back to the daughter's view, my view. Friday is here. Let's go to school. Come home from school and get ready for the game. Dressing for the game is a little different for the coach's kid.

You dress your best because you have an image to keep. Clothes are cute and decent, hair is fixed, and makeup is done.

Some may say well it's just a game, and while that is true it is also not their father's occupation. Getting to the game needs to be done about 15 to 20 minutes before kick off.

Why, you may ask, because you need to talk to the parents and family members of the players and make sure the people who know you and expect you to be there know you are there. Now stand appearance is very key and as I have gotten older I have learned this.

Being in the stands means you are being watched constantly. Being watched constantly means be careful what you say, how you say, and when you say it.

Being the daughter means you see what he sees. I see the Xs and the Os. I see the broken coverage, and the person who is on the line but did not block the person they were supposed to, or the kid who was open but the quarterback did not see him because he is only a freshman and it is hard for him.

Although I see the bad stuff I also see the good stuff like the kid that opened up the line to allow the running back to get a first down, the lineman who came off the guy he was blocking to tackle the other team;s running back, and the kid who is busting his tail to do everything coach wants him to do even though he is young and inexperienced.

After the game, I'm the first one standing on the outside of the field house door.

I am the first one who sees the boys who think they did awful because they lost. They see me and they know Baylee is going to give them advice, confidence, and the hug that comes even when they win.

When your Dad is the coach you acquire some 30 odd brothers.

These brothers will defend you to the end and they love your Dad just as much as you do.

As I said my first love was my father, but the love of the game came shortly after. I have loved the game for about 17 years now.

The love between my Daddy and me has lasted for 21 years and counting, and even though one day the clock may run out on his coaching career, the bond we share for the game will not and neither will our love for each other.