To The Dad Who Deserves More Than An Instagram Post

This one's for you.
5

Dad,

I know you don't have Instagram, so let me recap. On Father's Day, everyone (myself included) shares photos of them and their dads, telling them how amazing they are and thanking them for all that they do. It is a day flooded with love and appreciation. Offline, cookouts and gifts and days on the boat take place, allowing dads everywhere to feel like today is their day. A day of love, a day of appreciation, a day of dad.

Every year, I post my photo. I write a caption about how great you are, how much I love you. And every year I wonder... Does he know this? Do I show it? Or am I just following the trends? Because sometimes I think that I show everyone else that I love you on Father's Day, and may forget to include you in that.

Maybe it is because Father's Day is nothing new. When you have a dad as incredible as you, it is hard to not show love and appreciation every day. Sometimes, the easiest way to say "I love you" isn't with words. You showed me time and time again when you came to my games after a full day of work, ready and cheering me on. You showed me when you dropped everything to come up to my college just to spend some time with me. You show me every day when you go to work at a place you'd rather not be in order to provide for us and give us the most amazing life you can. Even when you don't say it, those things show me you love me more than I'm even able to imagine.

I try to show how much I love you, too. Maybe it isn't as easy to see, but it's there. When I sit at the counter recounting my day to you, when we banter back and forth until mom says "would you guys please stop?", when I can hardly wait for you to get home or answer your phone so I can give you good news... Even if I don't say it, those things are an attempt to show how much I love and appreciate you.

One day dedicated to you can't properly show how thankful I am for spending every second of your limited time not working with our family. One day dedicated to you can't properly show how appreciative I am for every game you came to and practice you facilitated. One day dedicated to you can never and will never be able to show you how much I love you and how impossibly thankful I am that you're my dad.

But maybe, one lifetime can. Hopefully, one lifetime can. 365 days every year of telling you my great news and watching TV in the living room with you until you fall asleep and start snoring. Of thinking of you and trying to make me proud in all that I do. And maybe just one day of posting a photo on social media to tell everyone else just how lucky I am.

You are my dad, you are my coach and you are my friend. And while you only get one day to be celebrated, know that you deserve it 356 days of the year.

Love,

Your daughter