Cybersecurity of a Small Business
News

Cybersecurity of a Small Business

Introduction

16
Cybersecurity of a Small Business

The Internet makes it possible for businesses of any size and in any location to access new and larger markets. Additionally, it makes it possible for enterprises to improve their productivity by making use of computer-based technologies. If a company plans to employ cloud computing or only use email and maintain a website, cybersecurity must be taken into account during the strategic planning process.

Cybersecurity of a Small Business

The theft of digital information has surpassed physical theft to become the type of fraud that is reported the most frequently. Every company that conducts business via the Internet bears the responsibility of fostering a culture of security that will boost both business and customer confidence. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) re-launched the Small Biz Cyber Planner 2.0 in October 2012 as an online resource to assist small enterprises in the creation of individualized cybersecurity plans.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) recently issued an updated one-page Cybersecurity Tip Sheet. This concise guide provides up-to-date advice on a variety of topics, including the formulation of an action plan for mobile devices and the protection of payment and credit card information.

10 Pieces of Advice for the Cybersecurity of a Small Business

Small firms have a greater chance of entering new markets, as well as enhancing their production and efficiency if they have access to broadband and information technology. However, in order to safeguard their company, their customers, and their data from the expanding number of cybersecurity threats, organizations need to have a cybersecurity strategy.

1. Educate staff members on basic safety procedures

Establish appropriate Internet use guidelines that detail penalties for violating company cybersecurity policies, as well as fundamental security practices and policies for employees, such as requiring strong passwords. In addition, establish basic security practices and policies, such as requiring strong passwords. Establish norms of behavior that describe how to manage and secure the information of your customers as well as any other critical data.

2. Defend information, computers, and networks from intrusions from the internet

Maintaining clean computers and using up-to-date versions of your operating system, web browser, and security software are your greatest lines of defense against viruses, malware, and other forms of online attack. Configure your antivirus program to perform a scan following the installation of each update. Immediately when they become available, important software updates should all be installed.

3. Protect your computer and your connection to the internet with a firewall

A firewall is a collection of interconnected computer programs that restricts access to data stored on a private network from individuals who are not part of that network. Make sure that the firewall that comes with the operating system is turned on, or install some of the free software that is accessible online. If you have employees that perform their duties from home, it is imperative that their personal computer systems be protected by firewall managed security services.

4. Create a mobile device action plan

Mobile devices can present substantial issues to both security and administration, particularly if the devices store sensitive information or have the ability to connect to a company's internal network. Make it mandatory for users to password-protect their devices, encrypt their data, and install security apps in order to reduce the risk of information being stolen from a user's phone while it is connected to a public network. Make sure to establish reporting processes for any equipment that is lost or stolen.

5. Create backup copies of any crucial data and information

Make sure that the data on all of the PCs is backed up regularly. Documents created using word processing software, electronic spreadsheets, databases, financial files, human resources files, and accounts receivable and payable files are examples of important types of data. Data should be backed up automatically, if at all possible, or at least once a week, and copies of the data should be stored either offsite or in the cloud.

6. Establish user accounts for each employee

Prevent unauthorized individuals from gaining access to or using the computers at the company. Lock your laptops up when you leave them unattended because they are particularly easy targets for theft and can be misplaced. Create a unique user account for each employee, and insist that they use complex passwords to access their accounts. Only trustworthy members of the IT department and other critical individuals ought to be granted administrative privileges.

7. Ensure the safety of your Wi-Fi networks

If your place of business makes use of Wi-Fi, you should take precautions to ensure that the network is private, encrypted, and difficult to access. Set up your wireless access point or router in such a way that it does not broadcast the network name, sometimes referred to as the Service Set Identifier, in order to conceal your Wi-Fi network (SSID). Protect the router using a username and password.

8. Make use of the most effective procedures for credit and debit cards

Collaborate with financial institutions or processors to make certain that the most reliable and proven anti-fraud techniques and services are being utilized. In accordance with the agreements you have made with your bank or processor, you can also be subject to additional security duties. Maintain the separation of payment systems from other, less secure programs, and never use the same device to process payments and browse the internet at the same time.

9. Place restrictions on the data and information

It is not appropriate to grant access to all of the data systems to a single employee. Employees should be restricted to just having access to the data systems that are necessary for them to perform their duties, and they should be unable to install any software without first receiving approval.

10. Authentication and the use of passwords

Insist that employees come up with their own one-of-a-kind passwords and that they update such passwords at least once every three months. Consider putting in place multi-factor authentication, which necessitates the submission of information in addition to a password in order to gain access. Inquire about the availability of multi-factor authentication for your account with any of your providers that are in charge of handling sensitive data, particularly banking institutions.