Mid-Term Elections Are More Important Than Ever Before

The mid-term elections have become just as important if not more important than the general election cycle.

25

It wasn't until 2016, that I realized this country is in a perpetual state of an election hangover. The mid-term elections have become just as important if not more important than the general election cycle. So, what are the plans for the Democrats to keep their seats in the two houses? Can the Republicans get their so-called "power" back in 2022? These are valid questions and if you are concerned about the health, safety, and democracy in this United States then you should begin paying attention to your candidates now not a few weeks before the election.

The new chairman of the Democratic National Committee is Jamie Harrison, the man that ran against Senator Graham and even though he lost was a powerhouse for fundraising. However, I think the reason he was able to garner millions in campaign contributions was because Lindsey Graham is not a popular man. Not that I was ever a big fan of Tom Perez, his inability to see the writing on the wall for the past four years frustrated me time and again.

What the Democratic Party really needs and should be working hard to find is a "Stacy Abrams" in every state. Whether it has always been a blue state, somewhat purple, or pure red. What Abrams did in Georgia is what inspiration is made from.

Now I live in a state that has multi colors depending on the location. In south Florida, it is purple and central Florida is bright blue, yet north of Daytona Beach and east into the panhandle is as red as a ripe apple. I am sure most states can identify with this color scheme and find it hard to understand or maybe don't care. Well, they don't care until their candidate loses and then they storm the castle.

For most of us, we want to make sure we have working politicians that represent us in Washington DC. This has become harder and harder as the polarized nation is physically separated from each other, first due to a commander in chief that feeds divisive rhetoric on an hourly basis through a social media stream. Then came the pandemic and all else was put aside to figure out our priorities and professional ability to maintain social distance and educate ourselves to the candidates we wanted to support.

Even though the Republican candidates are still going after that bully pulpit to keep their base of supporters on their side; the true conservatives of this party are jumping ship with every indiscretion some of the staunch Trumpian congresspeople and senators embark on. Just this week, during the worst winter storm to hit Texas, their faithful Senator Ted Cruz (a voice of pointing out Democrats that don't stay on their job) packed up his family and flew to Cancun for the weekend because his daughters wanted to get away during the school closing. Lies and walking back of reasons have been the headlines this week from Mr. Cruz, but hey, if you can get away with it like so many of these politicians have gone for it.

These and other incidents that make up the new Republican party are just a small part of what the Democratic party should zero in on. Let alone the backing of the "Former Guy," as President Biden so aptly called him, for his role in the insurrection at the Capitol on January 6, 2021. What is needed is the grassroots, door to door, no holds barred, get out the vote campaign from a spokesperson in each state that is admired and respected by everyone. For the state of Florida, I would love to work with someone like Gwen Graham or Alex Sink and get the state of Florida registered and voting in 2022. If Abrams can do it during a run-off election in a state like Georgia, why can't each of us do our part to honor her commitment and get the vote out?

From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web