If They're Toxic, They Don't Belong In Your Life No Matter Who They Are

Cutting them out doesn't make you a cold-hearted person.

653
123rf

You've probably heard it many times before: The people that you surround yourself with have the ability to change you as a person. And it's true.

Your friends can have a positive effect on your life. They can lift you up and help you achieve your dreams. Or, they can have a negative effect on your life and drag you down.

If there's one thing that I've learned in these twenty years, it's that you should be your number one priority. And sometimes that means cutting people out of your life 1) who no longer benefit you or 2) who inhibit your growth.

Cutting people out of your life does not make you a bad person. If you do it all the time and without reason, then yes. But if you're cutting people out so that you can live a healthier and more authentic life, more power to you. Make decisions that will benefit you in the long run.

Never feel bad about taking care of yourself. Sure, saying goodbye to people is hard, but fixing your life over and over again after toxic people have tampered with it is harder.

Your friends should make you laugh and should take your mind off of all of your struggles. Studying for exams and working on assignments every night is stressful enough. You don't need to stress over your friends all the time, too.

Your significant other isn't exempt from this topic, either. If you're spending six out of seven nights a week crying over your boyfriend, that's a sign you should kick him to the curb. If your girlfriend is controlling or rude and you find yourself constantly having to apologize for her actions, it's time to say bye for good.

Take it from a girl who made the mistake of keeping happiness leeches around in the past: If your connection with someone hurts you more than it helps you, changes you for the worse, or requires too much from you, it's time to cut ties.