Current Events More Important Than Zayn Malik Leaving One Direction

6

If you haven't heard by now -- and I am amazed if you haven't -- Zayn Malik, formerly of the band One Direction, left the beloved boy band due to personal reasons, and the world has treated the situation with epic amounts of attention. With the headlines of his departure from the band plastered all over social media and even major news outlets such as USA Today, it was hard to avoid the big news. The mayor of Boston even offered his opinion on the matter, stating, “We are all devastated about Zayn Malik, but we must soldier on."

While I have no doubt that the mayor's comment was in good fun, the amount of attention and the longevity of the attention this matter is receiving is kind of appalling. And let's face it: he is not exactly the member I would be most upset to see go.

It is sad that with so many exciting, important, and even tragic events in the world, this story is the one that has been most prominent on any news source I have been exposed to. It is easy to get swept up in things like this, and I have to bring myself back down to earth daily. To do my part in helping society have a little more depth, here are five things that have happened in recent news that are way more important than Zayn Malik leaving One Direction.

1. Angeline Jolie Pitt wrote an amazing and moving article about a very private surgery she had. She wrote about this experience in an op-ed in The New York Times. She shared her personal experience with cancer, or rather the potential to have cancer. With decisions she made based on family history and facts, the goal of the article was not to encourage and promote life-changing surgeries, but to prove to women that they can be in control of their health. She summed it up best when she said, “Knowledge is power."

2. Germanwings Flight 9525, which was going from Spain to Germany, crashed into the French Alps at 10:53 a.m., on Tuesday, March 24, killing all 150 people on board. It has now been acknowledged by Germanwings that the co-pilot of the plane deliberately crashed it.

3. The 2016 Presidential race has its first official candidate. Senator Ted Cruz, the Republican from Texas, announced his intent in front of 11,000 students at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. Let the games (political ads) begin.

4. Utah Governor Gary R. Herbert signed a bill that brings back firing squads as an option for execution in his state. Controversy? Of course.

5. Tornadoes swept through northeast Oklahoma on Wednesday, March 25, killing at least one person.