5 Tips To Learn To Love Your Curly Hair

5 Tips To Learn To Love Your Curly Hair

Some tips to help tame and smooth your natural curls!

107

My relationship with my hair has been a bit twisted to say the least. Up until about the age of 11 I had perfectly straight hair with almost no frizz. As I grew into a teenager my hair pattern changed entirely. It started out just having a subtle texture and then it turned wavy and now I have a head full of curls. At first, I did everything in my power to stop it. I bought keratin straightening shampoo and conditioner, brushed my hair religiously, and almost never wore it natural. My curls already weren't that healthy so doing this made my hairs condition even worse; so much so that eventually my hair started to fall out. Once this started happening I knew I had to suck it up and figure out how to wear my hair natural. So after years of trial and error and lots of failures, I have learned a lot about curly hair care that keeps the mane on my head looking good!

Don't wash your hair every day!

This is first and foremost the most important part of curly hair care; you cannot wash your hair every day! This is so incredibly damaging to your hair and strips away so much of your hairs moisture. Wash your hair every other day or every two days and I promise you will notice a difference in your curl pattern and softness. If greasy hair bothers you take advantage of dry shampoo.

Read the ingredients

Most shampoos have sulfates, parabens, and alcohols. These are extremely drying and damaging to curly hair. Invest in natural based products free of these ingredients. Most brands have lines of products specifically for curly hair, but still include harsh substances in their formula. Be sure to read each product carefully before purchasing.

Ditch the cotton towel

Cotton towels are very harsh and rough on hair. It encourages frizz and creates breakage on hair strands. Using a microfiber towel to dry your hair is much a much safer alternative. If you don't have one, t-shirts are also another great swap. When drying your hair, flip your head over and scrunch your curls upward to help enhance the pattern.

Coconut oil is your best friend

Seriously. Coconut oil masks are amazing for curly hair. They help restore moisture and reduce frizz and breakage. Scoop a dollop sized amount into your hands and warm it up. Once it is soft apply all over the bottom half of your hair and let it sit for at least an hour. Afterwards, wash it off in the shower using warm water.

Trust the process

Healthy hair takes time to achieve

A curly hair transformation will not work overnight. Be patient! When I first started it wasn't until after a few weeks that I started to notice significant changes in my hair. Create a hair care routine for yourself and stick to it religiously. Consistency is key when it comes to hair.