5 Tips For Conquering Curly Hair

5 Tips For Conquering Curly Hair

Curly hair, don't care.

272
5 Tips For Conquering Curly Hair
Catherine McSorley

Curly hair is unique and, because of it, there are most definitely unique ways of caring for it.

Curls have shape, volume and always add definition to a person’s character. These tips below are surely a way to embrace your curls, treat them with the best care and rock them with confidence. The best way to rock your curls is to know how to treat them and wear them. Once you learn how to treat your curls so that they are at their best, wearing them comfortably and happily will come naturally.

Embrace your curly locks with these five tips because taking time to learn about yourself and taking care of yourself to be at your best is perhaps the best investment a person can give themselves.

1. The rule of thumb, try not to wash your hair every day.

Having thick, curly hair is a positive aspect and big time-saver. By only washing your hair three times a week, the curls become more defined and stronger. That being said, condition your hair every day and wet it at least every morning to make the frizz go away after a night of sleep.

2. Do not over spend on conditioner because, if you are like me, you will most definitely overuse.

In terms of curly hair, that is actually a good thing. In my experience, the key to taming curls is lathering your hair in conditioner. I always say that you can never over-condition; curls need the nourishment of conditioner. To be honest, I often find myself conditioning my hair even more than I am washing it, so buying a cheaper conditioner is OK; do not feel guilty. A brand such as Pantene or Marc Anthony is a useful and inexpensive product that does the job right.

3. Use hair masks to make the frizz go away.

Ever feel like you have great definition, but cannot get the frizz that lines the curls to reduce? Use a hair mask or hair smoothie once or twice a week to help the situation. I am a constant user of the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Hair Smoothie. It is a thick and nourishment enriched product that hydrates and moisturizes curls. After combing your hair in the shower with your fingers or a long tooth comb, brush in the smoothie. The brush will get into the curls at the roots all through the ends. Let it sit from minutes to even hours and rinse it out. Any smoothie or thick leave-in product is a great hair strengthener and shine inducer. I try to do it at least once a week because I find that taking care of my hair is key. By implementing the step into your hair routine, the frizz will decrease in little to no time.

4. Do you have thick curls?

If so, you most definitely know that brushing your hair while dry is a mistake. Just because people with straight hair can put a brush to their hair at any moment of the day whether wet or dry does not mean that us curly people can. The only thing that you will end up with is a ball of frizz … I know from experience. Try to save brushing your hair for the shower, when your hair is wet and conditioned. You most likely will not have a problem brushing your hair when wet. I tend to use a brush with many teeth while my hair is lathered in conditioner and the water from the shower is running through the locks. Brushing when in the shower will allow for the conditioner or smoothie to get into every cue of the curls and remove the excess dead hair that will fall out.

5. To defuse or not to defuse … hmm.

I always debate buying a defuser when I am at the store. Personally, I am not a big diffuser kind of person and as I have gotten older, I have realized that I do not have a lot of time to blow dry my hair anyways. Towel drying works perfectly fine and can even bring the best out in your curls. In the cold of winter when I am not comfortable leaving the house with wet hair, I often turn my head upside-down and squeeze the water out of the curls. That will dry the hair and give it definition all at the same time. It is just easier to let it air dry, but if diffusing fits into your schedule, I say go for it.

From one curly girl to another, I hope these tips are helpful. Curly hair does not require a lot of effort once you have a routine set because thankfully, curls are already styled. They simply need the treatment for them to reach their full potential. You may not yet be at the stage where you love your curls, but with time and learning the right products and routine for your hair, you may find that you love the curly, voluminous and unique look.

My advice is to embrace your curls because they are beautiful and unique. Who doesn’t love volume, right? Beauty lies in the curls.