5 Cult Classics You Need To Watch In Your Lifetime

Each one more bizarre than the last!
78

School is finally out! And if you're lucky you have a couple months of beautiful weather and leisure time ahead of you. While some of that time should definitely be spent outside or with friends and family, it's also the perfect time to enjoy some classic films - specifically cult classics. They're bizarre, hilarious, and a staple in american cinema. These are the movies that everyone has seen, and the ones that everyone has quoted. They are, - in a way - purely iconic.

1. Scream - 1996

"Hello Sidney"

what better way to kick off your summer film fest then with this classic parody in itself. The town of Woodsborrow is shocked by a gruesome double murder committed by a mystery man running around in a ghostface mask stalking high schoolers. The genius of this film is in it's directing, done by the one and only Wes Craven. This star-studded staple of the 90's spawned three sequels and a TV show. The film stars Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox and David Arquette and is available to stream on netfllix

2. Clueless (1995)

"Ugh.. As If"

This 90's retelling of Jane Austens' classic novel Emma, stars Alicia Silverstone as Cher, a spoiled, rich teenager, living in Beverly Hills. Her world consists of the mall, her cushy prep school, and her friends. Cher enjoys total control over her seemingly perfect lifestyle, she's popular, well dressed, and prides herself on being a modern-day Emma by matchmaking her friend and teachers. Something that proves to do a bit more harm than good. Cher soon learns that not only does her meddling come with consequences but that nothing is black and white. (available on netflix)

3. Heathers (1988)

This one is a personal all-time favorite of mine. Heathers costars Winona Ryder and Christian Slater, Ryder as Veronica a girl who happens to be a part of the most powerful clique in her high school but secretly hates her friends and the cruel things they do. Veronica's life is altered however, when she catches the eye of the mysterious new kid J.D. (Slater). Soon Veronica's in over her head as she and J.D become a modern-day Bonnie and Clyde, exacting deadly revenge on the popular kids. - Now streaming on netflix

4. The Craft (1996)

This lesser-known favorite stars Robin Tunney Neve Campbell, Fairuza Balk, and Rachel True. New girl Sarah (Tunney) struggles to fit in at her new school, that is until she meets a group of girls who are not only obsessed magic but believe that Sarah is their fourth" a final girl who will help them harness their powers. Soon enough, the four friends learn to practice witchcraft. Soon, they begin using their abilities for selfish and petty things. They ultimately realize that that their new powers come with grave consequences and far more important lessons.

5. Twin Peaks (1990)

This final classic ran for two seasons, and baffled millions. There is no real way to explain or summarize Twin Peaks so let's just go with brilliant, bizarre, and rare. The show in centered around the murder of popular high school student Laura Palmer. The show combines murder, the supernatural, and nuance into one iconic 90's experience - soon to be revived this year! - Also streaming on netflix!