You can be creative and have a still have a successful career

Next time someone underestimates the power of creatives, remind them of how most of the world consumes some sort of media everyday and someone has to create it.

14
Photo by Lum3n.com from Pexels

There are two sides to being a creative person. On the one hand, your mind is teeming with ideas, and it's always exciting to have new topics flowing through your head and you never know what might spark them. On the other hand, if you're hard on yourself like I am, it's hard to stick to these ideas and the going back and forth, constantly editing them to something that your brain actually think is decent is a challenge within itself. Despite the latter, I wouldn't trade being a creative talents and skills for the world- it's what helps define who I am. The arts get a lot of criticism for not being as important as math or science. It has consistently been on the list of one of the top majors college students regret pursuing. So is there really no hope out there for artsy creatives such as myself?

One of the reasons why the creative arts could be deemed as unimportant is because many say it's impractical. People want practical jobs so that everyday problems can be solved quickly. But there is practicality in creative fields.

You might strike it big by majoring in video production/communications for example. Youtube is big- the video sharing website get millions of visitors everyday Some users have reached a godtier like status on the website as "Youtubers" in which they earn millions a year from sharing their lives with strangers around the world. How did they do this? Content creating. Becoming creatives, working and refining their ideas and then sharing them with others. They couldn't rely on only STEM fields for doing this. They had to create, which takes a lot of skill & intelligence that you can't just read out of a textbook or practice to just end up with one definitive answer. That's the thing about creative fields- there's no right or wrong- its just what works and what doesn't. Editing is also another creative skill that is taken for granted. Editing can take a lot of time and energy; a 5 minute video could take 5 hours to edit for example. It is a lifelong and highly sought skill to edit and now in this type of economy where quick eye catching videos are all the rage, the need for editors is bigger than it's ever been.

There's hope for writers as well! Despite a heightened demand for learning through video, many people still like to read in order to learn something new. It takes a long time for books, articles and magazines to reach their final form before they are shared with the masses and this grueling revision process can be undermined. Copywriters and editors for instance are needed in almost every industry, creative or otherwise. And without authors of various genres of writing, how will we have the next Young Adult novel or even Television show craze? Writing is definitely a hidden superpower that the world needs, despite sometimes being deemed as a "BS requirement" to some college students.

Lastly,enter the mind of another creative- the performance artist. Whether it's singing, dancing, acting, playing an instrument or otherwise, these creatives are constantly told to choose another career since you have to get "lucky" in order to make it. But now, there's so many potential opportunities for these creatives- the world is getting more used to being surrounded by the arts and culture; some people can't live without their favorite shows on Netflix, Hulu and other streaming services. People become invested in some of their favorite stories through creatives, they come to life. They are smart enough to remember their lines, say them with conviction and convince us that we are in their world, which takes more intelligence & skill than you think.

Bottom line: Next time someone underestimates the power of creatives, remind them of how most of the world consumes some sort of media everyday and someone has to create it.