Creative Writing: The Dangerous Quest for a Manchego Bagel​

Of all the time I had chemically manipulated soma, I never saw the day I would be caught and forced into a life of exile because of it. My body was weak and scratched from scurrying into small, concrete hiding spots throughout the city of London. Everyone had heard of what I had done and were instructed to keep an eye out for me, the Alpha that took away their soma. Across the street from where I was hidden was a Ford's Bakery. The warm smell of freshly baked desserts filled the busy street. It was that time of day that the bakery threw out their leftover food, and to my luck, I hadn't eaten in days. The sun began to set, and the sky became a spectrum of vivid reds and oranges. The busy streets began to clear up, and it was my chance to make a break for the food.

After midnight, when the sky was a deep black color, I layed in the silent city thinking of my unfortunate situation. As I waited impatiently and hungrily, my attention peered to a cracked mirror on the dirt floor. It's edges were jagged and sharp, but I picked it up despite it and stared deep into my reflection. My long, black hair was the texture of a broom and swooped over my face in thick, greasy chunks, due to it being unwashed and unbrushed for days. My pale skin, covered with dust and debris from the polluted streets, and my previously white linen lab coat, now turned the color of sewage.

I believed I was helping the town by chemically altering their soma. For the months after I began manufacturing the somas into nothing but placebos, no one had ever noticed the big exchange. I planned to reveal my revolutionary discovery when I had perfected the data. However, I was caught by a puny, shriveled, and despicable Gamma who had been spying on me without my knowledge. If only I had made more effort to stop him from revealing the truth.

I came to realize the busy streets of London were now dead silent. I lifted my head up from the hard pavement and hesitantly peered at the street. No people passing by, no helicopters-just silence. I bolted into the street, towards the radiating smell of food scraps. I lifted the steel top of the garbage, and there, like fallen angels, lay promise. My mouth watered, and I bit into the Manchego cheese bagel, enjoying every bite, and, for a brief moment, everything felt content again.