Creative Writing: The Antecedent to "The Cask of Amontillado"

"I must go to town, my dear. This is surely a matter that cannot wait until tomorrow."

"But Montresor, I refuse to have our baby without your imperative presence, especially when the time or arrival is approaching so near."

"My dear, it will be only a matter of hours before I return to your comfort; there is no need to fret."

A kiss on her forehead was enough to soothe her from her troubles. I had a deep, sentimental love for my wife and I would never want to anguish her.

As my wife had wished, I was expediting along the streets of the town. The aromas of the fish ports and the crisp secondary smoke filled my nose with an appalling stench. I was not walking hastily enough thus forth came a chill down my back when I heard the recognizable voice:

"Good day Montresor, my good friend! What brings you about the town on this fine evening?"

The familiar voice echoed in my mind, and my most inferior dreads came true when I turned my head to view the looks of my wicked neighbor. But alas, I played along with his fictitious charm and responded with:

"Why if it isn't Fortunato, my dear old friend. How great it is to rejoin with you again. What has become of your wine business. Still as successful as I remember?"

"Oh, how you flatter me Montresor. I'm sure you would be pleased to know that the queen herself has experienced the flavors of my wines. I have been told that I am very fine when it comes to the act of persuasion and choosing the extravagant flavors."

How expected of Fortunato to flaunt his good fortunes. I did not have the patience to converse with him any longer.

"I am pleased to hear of your prosperity," I responded with animosity. "However, it pains me to inform you that I must be off to settle some stirrings in the town. I wish you the best."

"Hold on Montresor, I hadn't even the opportunity to ask about your wife's condition."

"She is well, thank you."

"Well I'd hope so, being born into a family like yours would surely become of a disgrace and embarrassment to the child in its later years of life. At least it has now to remain in the peaceful encumberment of your wife's womb, unaware of your family situation."

And at that moment my breath halted. It is as if my lungs could not build up the courage to respond to such impudent arrogance, afraid it would mumble something utterly horrible. Suddenly, I was disgusted with the light mood of the air. The sky darkened and the weight on my shoulders became unbearable. My stomach turned in knots and I had no other response but to walk from the situation, sparing me of the little dignity I had left. The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as best I could, but when he ventured upon insult I vow revenge.

The burden of trudging myself the rest of the way was loathsome. I could not move on from the horrendous thoughts of wishing Fortunato was never around to shame me of my family name or anyone for that matter. "No more!" I loudly shouted in agony, "At length, Fortunato, I will be avenged!"