Six Covid-Approved Costumes for Halloween

Whether you plan to trick-or-treat, hang out with friends, or have a scary-good time with family, having a cute and practical costume is a must! Here are six Halloween costumes for ladies and gents that you can wear with a mask and it won't throw off the vibe.

4

The global pandemic that devastated our world in March and that we thought would be gone by May or June, has now crept its way into our beloved Fall and holiday seasons. Unfortunately for us, that means adapting our normal, lively festivities to fit social distancing and wearing masks to accommodate the coronavirus. However, this doesn't have to be a negative or difficult task. Parties may not be the safest option, but trick-or-treating or spending the night with friends can be safe and fun, and you can still get some spooky pictures for social media with costumes that readily incorporate masks. Below I have compiled a list of two girl costume ideas, two boy costume ideas, and two unisex costume ideas, and wearing a mask with any of them will not throw off the desired look. Some of the ideas are scarier than others, and some are cuter and more light-hearted.

Costume #1: Silent Hill Nurse

This one is for the girls! If you're a horror movie junkie, you know exactly what I'm talking about. If you aren't familiar with this character, it is a nurse whose face is covered in bloody gauze. The Silent Hill nurse costume works well with a mask because the face of the character/this costume is completely covered in gauze! Although the gauze may not work in place of a mask, making your mask blend in with the gauze or wearing a mask under the gauze work equally well, look equally neat, and keep you equally safe. Here is a good picture of the Silent Hill nurse costume from Party City.

Costume #2: Color Coordination is Key

Girls, if you like to use Halloween as an excuse to dress up and look cute, not dead, then this is the route you should take. This costume idea doesn't have a specific title because there are many to choose from. Basically, all you need to do is choose one of many different kinds of costumes, then buy or paint a mask to go with the color scheme of your costume. For example, say you want to be an angel or devil, all you need to do is throw on a white dress and wings or red dress and horns, then a white or red mask will complete the ensemble. An example of this is shown above. This can be done with more specific characters as well. For example, maybe you and a friend want to be Mike and Sully from Monsters Inc. After you've gotten green or blue t-shirt dresses (green for Mike and blue for Sully) and bought tutus, headbands, or whatever else you desire, simply paint your masks to match each monster's fur - green for Mike and blue with purple spots for Sully. If you're feeling creative, you could even paint on their mouths to add to the look. This option is a subtle but adorable way to incorporate a mask into your costume and you can even buy cheap, reusable masks here.

Costume #3: The Purge Masks

Another easy costume that can hide a Covid mask is a mask from the movie The Purge. This costume idea is geared toward guys, but I've seen girls pull this off nicely as well. For the fellas, put on an all-black outfit, or anything really (e.g., a suit, a flannel, bloody or ripped-up clothing, etc.), then throw on a mask and you're set. I'm not sure if a mask from the movie The Purge is really going to be able to replace your protective mask, but wearing one underneath will not be noticeable. Girls, if you want to be scary and cute, this is probably the costume for you. Wear a flattering dress or anything that makes you feel pretty, then put on a mask from The Purge and you'll instantly be spooky. Here are some masks from The Purge that you can buy.

Costume #4: Mummy

This is a cliche Halloween costume that you don't see many people wearing anymore. Maybe it's time for you to revitalize it! This look can be done well in two ways: 1) wearing all khaki-colored or off-white clothing, adding a few bandages here and there, and putting a small amount of blood and makeup to look dead, or 2) using bandages, blood, and makeup to make the full outfit. As for the protective face covering, if you choose to cover your face completely with bandages, wear a mask underneath. Alternatively, you could just decorate your mask with bandages and it will look like it goes with the costume.

Costume #5: Ninja

Hooray for unisex costumes! Anyone can look good in a ninja costume and it's a pretty common costume to find. In fact, there is a wide variety of costumes to pick from...ninja, samurai, kitana, etc. Here is a cute one for women at an affordable price and here is one for men. The best part about these costumes is that they come with face masks! Of course, unless you are going to be socially distanced on Halloween, you should seriously consider wearing a protective mask under your costume's face mask.

Costume #6: Prisoners

My final costume suggestion is an escaped prisoner, and when combined with your friend or significant other, it will be 'mad' cute. This costume consists of an orange jumpsuit, that is readily available at any costume store. A budget-friendly option is a jumpsuit from Goodwill or Walmart. To make this costume COVID-friendly, you'll need...yes, you guessed it, a matching orange or black, protective mask! This is a really easy costume to put together, without all of the extra hassle of blood or makeup, and it's especially comfortable to wear on Halloween night. Here is a costume that's decently priced for either a man or a woman.

These are just a few of the many options you have to dress up and enjoy the spooky season while staying out of harm's way. Although it sucks that we have to continue wearing masks, socially distancing, and keeping the coronavirus in the front of our minds, there are still ways to adapt and make life enjoyable. Focus on the positives, like the fact that you can get creative with your costume this year...and if you have acne, it will be covered by your mask! Stay safe and have a great Halloween!